Author Topic: A good day for primitive archery (pic heavy)  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Holten101

A good day for primitive archery (pic heavy)
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »
This Sunday we had our annual 3D target event at Lejre, DK which is a historic open air museum, with a walk through of 10.000 years of Danish history incl. houses and settings from the Iron Age, Stone Age, Viking Age and 1800th century, historic workshops and domestic animals.

Its, to my knowledge, the only 3D event in Denmark, which activly advocates the use of wooden bows…glass/wood laminates and alu/carbon arrows are allowed, but penalised. 

I think we had 110 archers attending. The weather was awsome and spirits high

I used my newly finished ”One Eyed Bishop” (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25630.0.html) and came in at a fourth place…which im proud of;-).

Morning…30 min to start:

Breakfast;-):

Some bows:

Some REAL bows:

A good mix:

In the woods:

Keeping score:

Dugout canooes:

Cloud shooting:

A crack junior shoot receving his prize:

Traditional is alive and well in these parts of the woods….we just need more events aimed at primitive archery;-)

Thanks for watching, and sorry if this topic has to be moved.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:43:45 am by Holten101 »

Offline Dane

Re: A good day for primitive archery (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »
Ah, very very nice. Excellent to see archers dressed in historic kit, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »
Very cool, glad to see this.....

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:37 pm »
This is a great post.  Excellent pictures and so good to see something like this taking place.  Is hunting allowed in Denmark with wood bows?  If so, what does your season look like?
Thanks for a great post.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »
Great pics! Thanks for shareing!

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:31 pm »
great post and pics.

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:26:48 pm »
Looks like a fine time. Thanks for posting.

Lane

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »
Great post and brilliant pic's, Holten - thanks so much for posting them!

Fourth place with the Bishop, eh?  Nice going!!

Is hunting allowed in Denmark with wood bows?  If so, what does your season look like?
Thanks for a great post.

Parnell

I hope this answers your question, Parnell.  It's in reference to Denmark ;)

"1967 – Hunting with bow and arrow is made illegal but
is immediately put on a dispensation system. 1999 – Roe
deer and lesser game regulated. 2005 – A study over five
hunting seasons has been completed on the hunting
roe deer (capreolus capreolus) with bow and arrow. The
study demonstrated a wound rate of approximately 5%
(comparable or better than the commonly used means of
harvesting roe deer in Europe)."

Technically, it IS legal but I don't know whether it's only in relation to Roe as above.  Holten, can you elaborate for us please?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »
That looks like a really great event.Thanks for sharing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »
Great pictures, really like the "cloud" shooting ones. always cool to watch 10-20 people launch arrrows longe range at the same time. Thanks for posting.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »
It was really neat to see archers from another land than I'm in, enjoying the same things I do.
VB

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
oh man, i wanna  go!  great grand father was from there, id love to visit!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:02 am »
Add yet another awesome archery event that I missed!!! 

My Viking ancestors must have left a few "seeds" behind before moving to America, many of the shooters there looked like my family!  Here's hoping this event keeps growing, Holten.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:29:35 am »
would have been awesome if everyone there, stood in a line and fired arrows all at once.  that would have been too much cool!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:55:13 am »
Parnell and HatchA:
You can get a bow hunting permit in Denmark if you have a normal hunting license (a normal hunting license requires passing a theoretical and practical test on wildlife and gun handling). To get the bow permit you have to pass a bow hunting test (another theoretical and practical test). The pratical part of getting the permit is were it gets hard.

The permit is for ONE of the following bow types, compound, recurve or longbow, with or without sights (or any combination of these). The test have to be passed using broadheads on a roe deer size paper target (roe deer is considderably smaller than whitetail). The kill zone is the size of a spread hand and the target is positioned at random ranges between 10-25 m, you get 6 shots at varying ranges and have to hit that kill zone with at least 5...or you are out (you cant practice on the test targets and you are under supervision)!
The bow used have to output 40 joules with fixed-blade heads or 70 joules with mechanicals and blunts (small game only)!

This is no problem with a compound, but is exstremly hard with traditional gear and only for the most persistent (only a handfull in DK). I hunt with a compound...and plan to try (again) with trad gear this year.

Typically you train and try out with a glass bow and carbon arrows (every little advantage counts)....if you pass with that, you can actually put it aside and go hunting with your selfbow, since the permit is for bow type....not a specific bow, as long as it yeilds 40 joules!   

Getting a permit for traditional gear in Denmark is very unusual .....also something to be proud of I think .... oh yeah....you have to pass the test again every 5 yrs;-)!

Anything up to and including Roe deer can be hunted with bow. For mamals and large birds (like geese) three bladed BH's are required (things like flint and glass points are prohibited). I know that the danish bowhunters association is working on having our three larger species of deer included....but I have been told (hear say only) that the compound fraction (which is the largest by far) are willing to admit restrictions on trad gear, in order to gain acces to aformentioned species.

Hope that is information enough for you:-)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:49:16 am by Holten101 »