Author Topic: My First Backstrap...  (Read 9315 times)

HatchA

My First Backstrap...
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »
So back in November/December my mum gave me a bag containing some venison from my dad's stash (she just wanted to get rid of it).

It turned out to be four nice, big, juicy tenderloins all wrapped seperately and frozen in a bag.

I thawed them out last night and just fried them up with a little olive oil, black papper and dark soy sauce.

My kids WOLFED them down!!  I mean, the plates were almost eaten, they liked them so much!! 

My wife...  not so much :(  but at least she tried.

Me...?   I'm chewing happily as I type this ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: My First Backstrap...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:30 pm »
That is some good eatin' there. The secret is to not to over cook it. Oh, try a little bit of onions mixed in with it, to. :P ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:07 am »
Good job getting the kids to like wild meat. My daughter informed me(along with my wife) that they didnt care if I got a deer this year on my first try at archery hunting, they wouldnot eat "bambi" ::), more for me I suppose ;).  Tenderloin is delicious, and it is so addictive, I can never get enough. Glad you got some.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:23 am »
Eddie, when the meat was cooked I plated it to let it rest and fired some thin sliced red onion into the pan.  They fried in the leftover meat juices and soy sauce mixture and turned out just lovely!

Scott, good information.  Thanks!  They were likely the outer cuts as they were fairly big and didn't taper down at one end.  I always thought people just called the same thing by different names. :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:37 pm »
You guys are jerks. Now I'm not only hungry, but the keyboard is all sloppy and covered with drool >:(!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:47 pm »
Ya'll need to quit talking about food that I'm not able to get.  My belly button is tickling my vertebrae right now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »
Headed to the freezer...

Lane

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
There was one that wasn't eaten so I put it in the fridge and am now chowing down on it :D

it tastes even better after sitting for a day!

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 04:46:20 pm »
Just called my wife and told here to take out a backstrap for supper. Some of David Knights secret seasoning sliced floured fried onion gravy mashed taters corn on the cob home made biscuits and peach cobbler. YUM YUM.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 04:52:27 pm »
I didn't know you could freeze tenderloins.We always eat them as soon as we cut up the critter.
A little treat for the hunters.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:42:47 am »
Leroy, I thought that was like Gizzards in a mullet; you always tell them that all critters don't have them. ??? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:09:31 am »
When I have it we usually have venison backstrap for Christmas dinner. I like to rub it down with a bit of olive oil and a little salt and fresh ground black pepper. Sear it all around in a black skillet then 15 minutes in a 350 oven( med rare). Take it out of the skillet and let it rest. deglaze the skillet with beef broth(venison broth if you have it) and reduce by half then add a shot of bourbon(any good whiskey or brandy) and heavy cream. As that reduces cut medallions of the venison adding the juices to the sauce.
 Serve with oven roasted potatoes, roasted aspiragas and a green salad.  8)
  Wife and daughter both love this dish and our daughter grew up eating Bambi burgers!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:25:28 am »
This whole thread is making me very hungry, and no venison. :'( :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:50 am »
*steals Pat's recipe*  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:08:04 am »
Yum Yum, Dave is doing stuffed peppers tonight but I may pull a back strap of of the freezer for Saturday nigh supper.This is making me hungry. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good