Author Topic: Whoopee - UK first Primitive Bowyers/Archery meet this weekend  (Read 7347 times)

Offline markinengland

It's the UK Primitive Archery Meet this coming weekend, 14th/15th with many turning up on the 13th. Should be really great. Looks like about 48 archers are booked in for the shoot itself on Sunday, with maybe 20 more turning up at some point for other fun and frolics going on.

I just wondered how many who post here are coming and how will we know each other? I could have known Lord Mad Bowyer here for years, be talking to him this weekend and not even know! (I made up the Lord Mad Bowyer bit!).

As this is the first event of this kind in the UK it's a bit hard to know how it will turn out. Will people want to talk, do and make stuff, shoot, see what other people have made, swap, stuff? Maybe it will be some of all of that? Walter Robson has been putting in some real hard work to get the course out and a whole load of preperation done so we all owe him thanks no matter what happens.

I'm taking just about everything I can think of, stuff to do, arrows to make, bows to work on and I know I'll probably just talk! I'm bringing stuff to show, bows and arrows, etc. I'm bringing stuff to play with, atlatl, fire making gear, tomohawks etc. I'm bringing trade stuff such as hardwood bow bellies, bamboo bow backings, bamboo arrow shafts, whistling arrow heads, pine resin and pine resin pitch glue sticks, linen for bow strings etc. I may need to bung the trailer on the back of the Volvo! I don't think I will be able to part with any of my self staves, but what if someone has a self stave I want and would swap for one of mine? Oh the agonies of what to take and what to leave behind. Maybe I should bring some of my hazel and dogwood arrow shafts. I think my wife may well think I'm leaving home with all my "junk" and perhaps she won't be too sorry to see it go?

Anyway, looking forward to this event and to meeting other UK primitive bowyers and archers. Should be great fun.

See you at the weekend.

Mark Hill aka Mark in England
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:36:56 pm by markinengland »

HatchA

Re: Whoopee - UK first Primitive Bowyers/Archery meet this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »
Unable to make it this year but have hopes for the future.

Hope it's a good'un - don't forget to take lots of pic's ;)

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »
HatchA,
I certainly intend to, if I remember to take the camera and then remember to takes some pictures!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:38 pm »
Mark, it will be a happening! Everyone will figure out what to do when the time comes. If the course is set up nice and the folks are friendly, you have nothing to worry about, just go and have fun!  8)
  I brought my camera to the Classic and it never left my bag. Be sure to have your camera with you at all times.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:43 am »
Very nice!  With family in England that could be something I would try to attend in the future.  I wish you all the best.
1’—>1’

Offline jimmy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
sounds cool. To be honest, I was never really interested in England until I really got into making bows and arrows.  Now, for some reason, I yearn to visit someday. I guess because that land has such a rich tradition in archery. I would also be nice to see where some of my european ancestors came from. I often wonder how archery is holding up as a tradition and sport over there. I guess you and others are doing your part, and that is very good to know.  You all will have a lot of fun at your meet, just as me and my friends do in Oklahoma every year. Drink a pint for your American brothers.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:39:54 pm »
I shall be there on the Saturday really looking forward to it, hoping to get my latest Hazel bow finished, or at least shooting in time.
S'pose I'd better take my camera, food, drink, bows, staves, leather, horn ... oooh arrows... mustn't forget arrows ::)
Hope to meet you there Mark...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »
Jimmy, Parnel, Pat, Hatch,

Thanks for the encouraging comments and I will post photos and have a beer and think of all my US friends.

Del, you bringing a tent? Might need one of those! Might need a few spare arrows knowing the dense growth parts of the course will be in! See you in a few days.

Mark

Offline Mister D

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:22 pm »
plenty of pictures please Mark!
next year i'll be sure to book up early

Mister D
In England
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:05:25 pm »
Del, you bringing a tent? Might need one of those! Might need a few spare arrows knowing the dense growth parts of the course will be in! See you in a few days.

Mark
No tent to loiter within. I'm only there on the Saturday and I don't have a tent which is the other reason ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:41:08 pm »
Del,
Asda sell some really cheap little tents!

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »
Hi Mark,

Helene and I will be there, although she isnt staying over (she has done enough camping during our biker days apparently), but I will be.  We will both have a go at the shoot on the Sunday, but we're not taking it very seriously - gotta save some arrows for the 3D Champs in two week's time!   ;).  For those who havent shot there before, a great deal of the ground cover is rhododendrons, which are an absolute swine to look into to find your errant arrows.

I'll bring some bows, arrows, knives, whistles, quivers and the like to "show and tell", and a boxful of turkey feathers and some other bits and pieces to sell/swap.  I hope you will be bringing some of your bamboo shafts to sell, 'cos I'll have some (45-50lb spine please).  Helene will be bringing her camera.

It will be great to meet up with others like Del, whom I havent met face-to-face yet.  I'm not sure, but I hope that Stan (BackGardenBowyer) will be able to make it too.  I will also be bringing some beer with me, to open when Helene decides its time for her to head homeward.  Heh heh heh.  Pfsssst!

We should be there at a good time on Friday, as the location is only about 10 miles from us and I'm on a half day from work.

I'll see you, Del and whoever else is looking in on here, there on Friday afternoon or over the weekend.  I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers!  Bob.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »
It sounds like it will be a good time, Mark. I had two camera's at the Classic and couldn't quit talking and sippin' long enough to take some pictures, either. Tip a beer for me and ya'll have a good time!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »
Take every picture you can and post a few on here!  Have a great time, hope it becomes a great success like the Twin Oaks Classic!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:38 am »
Pictures!!!  :)