Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 110096 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:57 am »
DANG ! that makes twice ive been wrong......this time about the oak and my first marriage  >:D

ok shingle oak = tough as hell red oak

i have some black ash from up yonder ^ im gonna try it this weekend and i have about four bows ready for final tiller ,52 inch and 54 inch crepe myrtle staves , a mid fifties hickory paddle bow and a mild reflex hickory bow that will be tillered as a holmie. im thinkin about gettin a white oak gullwing going also

blackhawk

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:20 am »
Dang ken you must got an assembly line of workers at your place....Ken75=mass producer of bows :D
looking forward to seeing them

What about HHB too...its pretty elastic stuff. I have a 54" one but its sinewed.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »
I have a 56" sinew backed hickory bow curing right now, goal is ~65# at 29". Would a sinew backed bow count?

Offline ken75

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »
 i would love to see your bows , i really wanted to keep these unbacked so we know what the wood can handle

blackhawk i just got off work for my five day weekend , hope to get something built

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:15 am »
come on big John stretch one back for us  >:D

have to add oak to the list i went back and ScottD has a beautiful shorty that is shingle oak , i assume white oak ?

Well I gave it a shot today, although at 57" it wasn't nearly as short as ya'lls midget bows.  Anyway I got greedy, heard a "tic" , and then a "boom".
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Kegan

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »
i would love to see your bows , i really wanted to keep these unbacked so we know what the wood can handle

Noted! I wimped out at 24" on this one, but there are still some staves in the hotbox... >:D

Offline ken75

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »
sorry to hear that jon , although ive heard my share of it too , keep tryin

Kegan i lookin forward to your contributions i know you can build some nice bows

well i got a few things done today , crepe myrtle stave 54 inches done waiting on finish. 54 inch hickory with flipped tips is done shooting in ready for finish. hickory with cherry underlays and tip overlays ready for final scraping . and my hickory paddle bow is floor tillered waiting for the tip overlays to dry. and final scraping. hopefully i can get some pics on here by monday

Offline half eye

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »
This one's a little different......it's 55" ntn, but draws 31" so figured it would qualify.....Self bow of Elm, 45# @ 28" the bow design is a Mollegabet, with recurved levers and a deflexed grip. Ken 75 made me do this one cause he sent the "midget" some 31" arrows (thats in the pictures) could have cut the arrows down....but decided to build the bow around them instead....anyways here is the pics......all hate mail can be PM'd to Ken 75  ;D ;D ;D
rich

Offline dbb

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »
That is a really cool bow!
Building a bow around too long arrows...Different indeed  :D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

blackhawk

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
Dang Rich....that is one bad #$! Bow. Looks like you can easily go another inch too. Great job. Im not as fast at building as some of you boys,but im still slowly working on mine. It might not be done till the end of this week. Ill post my results either way. I've made a few shorties but nothing like this before. My two year old is 4" taller than this thing   :D

Offline half eye

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
You are correct Blackhawk....but to get 32 or 33 I'd have to laydown and put my feet on the bow ::)
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »
You are correct Blackhawk....but to get 32 or 33 I'd have to laydown and put my feet on the bow ::)
rich
;D ;D :o ;D ;D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline half eye

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »
Here is a walnut self bow ....black walnut, 50" will draw 29" and weighs just over 40# at that length, bow was made for a Lady who wanted those specs. The arrow in the pic is 29" to the center of the head (fieldpoint). The bow is an American Longbow pattern.
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2011, 04:53:18 pm »
rich

That's that vertically challenged thing Ken was talking about ;D ;D

But seriosly Rich, those are 2 nice bows ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ken75

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »
well i dont know how in the hell im supposed to follow Rich but heres two done today first is a hickory bow 54 inches made from a scrap of wood with the tips flipped 1 1/8th wide 44 lbs at 28 inches