Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 110067 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 02:59:46 am »
One more from the archives,

piggy back stave to the previous bow.  pacific yew wood

50 inch tip to tip ,  47 pounds at 26 inch and does bend slightly through the handle.  pretty even sapwood to heartwood ratio
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline jpitts

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 12:59:39 pm »
WOW !!! I'm really amazed by the bows ya'll have shown on here. I've got some lightning struck hickory from a friend that I was gonna make kids bows from but now I have even better ideas for it....cool...Thanks everyone....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »
Wow, 50" long and 26" draw with a stiff handle. :o :o.  That's impressive!  Good work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 01:04:38 am »
well we have our first yew bows in this thing . i guess im surprised it would hold up but then ive never used it just read about it . thanks for showing them raven

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:38 am »
Suprised it would hold up?   I'm curious why so?

I haven't made anything other than yew bows so far,  and I have found the wood to be extremly flexible and durable

neither of the previous bows were overly wide.   maybe inch and a quarter,  i'd have to measure.

I am curious to see what a wide / short unbacked yew bow could handle.

thanks for the compliments

cheers,
raven
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »
I like shortbows so post another which finished today  ;D This is the shortest ash bow I ve made yet.

42 ntn 50-55# at 21 draw

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:17 pm »
I guess this is kinda long and not drawn as far as some others posted here on this thread. 51.5"ntn Osage selfbow. 55lbs@24"  I know this bow can go further but it only took a half inch set and I wanna keep it that way.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:52:10 pm by blackhawk »

Offline ken75

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:15 pm »
very nice bows guys
welcome blackhawk , very nice intro

blackhawk

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
  Thanks ken...you build some awesome bows man. I peruse this site n lurked but when I saw this awesome thread I just couldn't resist joining in and jumping on this bandwagon. I love shorty's.  :)

Maybe ill post a thread on this one even tho some of the guys have seen it on another site.

Offline half eye

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »
Didn't want to get left in the dust so made a couple of "midget specials"....first bow is a self bow of red elm, 38" ntn, 42# @ 25+ and the second is a 39" ntn, self bow of white ash ( has a grip block tied on in the Innuit style) and it's 44# @ 25+. These have NOT been drawn to 26" but they have been drawn to 25-1/2" so they might go that far.

The elm bow is a straight bow and has 1/2" of set....the ash bow is a double curve with 1/2" of reflexed tips and 1" of steamed deflex....it took an additional 3/4" to 1" of set. Both bows have 100 or so arrows through them and seem to be real nice shooters with 400 to 450 grain arrows.
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:38 pm »
Rich, HOT DAMN!  (sorry guys I just had too...)

You keep posting pics of these sweet Shorties and you may find me parked in your driveway in the morning  ;D

(Got the stringer today (THANK YOU) and already used it on three bows, much appreciated!)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:42 am »
Wow, those are incredible!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 12:45:32 am »
One more from the archives,

piggy back stave to the previous bow.  pacific yew wood

50 inch tip to tip ,  47 pounds at 26 inch and does bend slightly through the handle.  pretty even sapwood to heartwood ratio

I really like this style of bow...that Yew is something special.  I'm going to have to try and get my hands on some one day.

Thanks for sharing.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ken75

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:12 am »
dang Rich ive said for a while your the king of shorties ..but then midgets gotta be good for something !!!! >:D
seriously though great bows with beautiful full draws its amazing what elm can do , also ash stood up well to the strain of being short

i truly hope to be able to contribute some this weekend or by monday ,tough not havin time to build bows

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55:22 am »
dang Rich ive said for a while your the king of shorties ..but then midgets gotta be good for something !!!! >:D

That is insane. Those 2 could  go to a turkey blinb with me anytime!!!!!!!!! Very nice job
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2