Author Topic: river cane  (Read 24632 times)

Offline cracker

Re: river cane
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »
I thought about using a steam iron on a metal plate and rolling the node under the iron.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:41 pm »
Lee, hill cane grows only in the Appalacian Mountains. You can grow river cane(A. gigantia) or switch cane(A. tecta) where you are. Switch cane is similar to hill cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »
Lee, hill cane grows only in the Appalacian Mountains. You can grow river cane(A. gigantia) or switch cane(A. tecta) where you are. Switch cane is similar to hill cane.

Pat, thank you very much...I'll look into where I can try and pick some up.  Would you happen to know if they are best planted in spring/summer or fall?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »
Lee look up lewisbamboo.com they have river cane, they may be able to tell you the best time to plant, if you find out I could see about digging you up some and send your way.
john 3:16

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »
I had thought about digging up some root balls from the patch about an hour from my house and transplanting it here near the river where I live. No reason why it would grow an hour away and not here. I just haven't been back down there yet to get some and I believe it's the Gigantia variety cause it gets very tall and the older stalks are thick as broom handles.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 02:11:15 am »
Contact your local Soil and Water Conservation office and see if they have a source. Around here they use it to stabilize the banks of the French Broad River and it's tributaries.    If you transplant it be sure not to cut the culms off or it will take a few years before it sends up arrow length culms.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:28 am »
Our conservation dept. did a restoration with it years and years ago on the St. Francois river and in some areas it's lousy thick with river cane, other areas none at all. They are a little bit protective of it and really don't allow cutting any cane down there, but I tracked down the agent in that area and spoke to him on the phone. I told him that I only wanted enough to make some arrows with and maybe a couple of root balls and he gave me the green light along with his cell phone number in case anybody gave me any trouble. He was especially interested when I mentioned something about transplanting some here where I live on Big River, he was all for that idea!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:24 pm »
My favorite cane is hill and switch, in that order Chris. Others that I've used include, river cane, sasa, bambusa, tonkin and Japanese arrow boo. Plus a number of other bamboos I couldn't ID. All of them can be made into some good shooters, but, I've found the hill and switch cane to be more consistant performance wise. But for a first class hunting arrow, the hill cane has topped any other boo/cane that I've used..........Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »
I still think those sourwood arra shafts are the top of the heap for premium wood shafts, sure wish we had those growing here in Missouri. I like it better than the premium POC shafts I've used.
If I'm gonna make any cane shafts though, I'd say the river cane we have here close to me is pretty good stuff, but time consuming to straighten. Course I'm sure they are all that way.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »
You got the best of the "best" with that sourwood arrow arrow Chris. Not all sourwood grow or shoot like that one ;D. Both types get the job done, but the hill cane, with it's carbon-like properties, works best I think for those of us who have to use lighter tackle.........Art

Offline aero86

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 02:22:20 am »
i like river cane and tomato stakes in that order!  lol, first one is free, the second is easy to buy.  i really like the japanese arrow boo, but i find, the thicker stuff is spined pretty stiff.  but, i havent dealt with much of it though, but i really liked it!  wish i could cut my own hill cane, im picky when it comes to my cutting my own. lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:14:27 am »
   The reason crooked arrows fly so well is if there all spined the same they'll come off the bow at the same spot. The arrow only touchs the bow once and thats on release.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mainehunt

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »
Do any of you know how far north ANY of this cane grows?

One of you mentioned the Appalachian Mountains having it, but how far north?

Kev
<><
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those that do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -Albert Einstein

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 03:33:59 pm »
Hey Kev, I grew up in Portsmouth NH and the woods sometimes have dogwoods, cherry, and other shoots growing along the trails.  I've never seen any cane, though...just reeds, and the reeds are not good for arrows.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

gutpile

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »
first all this is primitive not modern..you do not need to file your nodes down...arrows do not have to perfectly straight...I leave my nodes a tad proud anyway...hit them just a lil....and straighten till they spin like store bought....once they spin good they fly good....cane is really spine tolerable..you can get away with a lot more than any other shaft.....your arrow is gonna bend around the bow when shot so the nodes won't come into play like you would think they do.....gut