Author Topic: When do you heat treat the belly?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline FlintWalker

When do you heat treat the belly?
« on: June 08, 2007, 06:05:50 pm »
Does this thing look too stiff in the outer third of the limbs? I never tillered one with any reflex in it so i'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to look.
  If I heat treated the belly, do you think it would allow me to get it bending a little more in the outer third of the limbs without loosing too much weight?
  It's tillered out to about 23" right now and is drawing about 45#. I would like to finish in the low to mid 50's at 28".
  If the tiller looks ok, i'll just work it on out to 28" and not worry about it.  Help me out guys, i'm stuck and don't know what to do here!  Thanks, SW

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: When do you heat treat the belly?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:08:03 pm »
Oh! I forgot to ask. Would it be ok to temper the belly now after having partially tillered it?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 06:23:55 pm »
I would get it bending a lot more on the outside (I think).  It is really hard to say for sure without seeing it drawn a little.  Leave the last 5" of limb stiff and get the rest in an arc.  If you just have reflex, you want an arc.  If it is reflex/deflex it would look like yours. You can temper it now or when you hit 28". I think you have plenty of weight.  With 45# at 23", you will be around 65# at 28".  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:31:17 am »
looking good Shannon! Justins advice was good, get the last 6" or so to open up just a bit at full draw.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:27 am »
Will you show us a pic at 23" draw. The best way to see till is when drawn. A bow can be completely different at brace and full draw. True tiller is at full draw only. ;)
  I think the bow looks good now. You do have enough to hit your goal of low 50s at 28.
I have never really heat treated a belly so I can't help with that. I would get the bow tillered, see how it shoots and if need be, then heat treat it to increase performance.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC