Author Topic: Osage Trade Bow (2nd attempt) COMPLETED - new pics  (Read 11554 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Osage Trade Bow (2nd attempt)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »
Pappy, here are a couple pics of the hump/dip and the knot I'm dealing with...

Here she is after a bit more tillering at low brace.

Here she is at 50# @ 16"

And a pile of potential projects  ;D

Thanks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:35 pm »
I think you don't have much choice but to leave a stiff spot at that knot.  I'm afraid it is large enough to be risky (because of the brittle wood around the knot) if you try and make the limb bend through it.  I'm interested in what the other guys say, I would love to be wrong.  Didn't look to me like any of your pictures were of the belly under that knot.  Any chance we could see that?  If it bends at all there the odds of that knot coming loose are pretty good.  Sometimes I drill out big knots as I think holes in the limb are cooler than knots but that's just me.  Very cool bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
Progress today...

Pic of her braced

Pic of draw at 19"

And really creeping up on the target for this one...#54 @ 23"  Just need a couple more inches but I think I will start to sand and begin the finishing process as well as shooting her in well.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »
That flat spot on the left freaks me out. I know that knot is there, but dang thats a stiff spot in a heavy working part of the limb. Thats really loading up the middle section.....and thats were they just love to come apart. Right side on the other hand looks dang nice from my seat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:07 pm »
Ya got a hinge cooking 8" up from the tip on the left also, keep an eye peeled.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:22 pm »
I would say get the flat spot mid left limb bending a bit more and if you go under a little on your draw weight its not gonna be a big deal. What is the finish weight you are shooting for? 
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »
Thanks PD...that limb is kinda hard to photograph, it has a twist and then add the knot and it really looks like compounding issues.  I'm not 100% sure it's quite as bad as it appears in the photo but I'll go slow from here on out.

Elktracker, I am shooting for #55 @ 26"

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:38 pm »
Sounds like your getting close but you still have some wiggle room ;D Looking like a nice bow so far! Keep up the good work

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:02 pm »
This is where you really slow down and assess things more than actually scraping because of the character in that stave. I don't have much tiller advice cus its a hard one to judge without seeing it from every angle in person. Have you flopped it the other way on the tree to see what it looks like from the other side?  You mentioned twist and if it does it'll look slightly different from the other way. Only thing I can say is get that lil hinge out left limb several inches from the tip out. Unless that's a natural kink in the stave.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:30 pm »
That is looking great and some great advice given, Love the character bump. Should make someone a real great shooter. Good job.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:11 am »
Like others have said it is looking pretty good to me,That is a bad knot,even for Osage and you have done a good job dealing with it, It does look a little flat mid left limb and if that isn't just the twist looking like that I would get that working some,you need all the limb you can get working on the left one, Some folks look for the prefect tiller on a bow as if it was a lam or glass bow but that ant always possible on wood bows,sometimes you just have to take what you get. Like others have said it also looks like a little hinge or over working on that left limb right out of the knot but again it may be the twist in the limb,be sure and look at it from both sides and if you are satisfied it ant a hinge,shoot it and see how it does. Nice job on a challenging piece of wood. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:39 am »
One more thing to help ya with is to video the bow drawing it on the tree from both ways. Or better yet since your close draw it and video it by hand. And do it from both ways. You can also use a mirror or a reflection in a window. That will tell you what's moving too much and not enough.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »
Lee:  If you can spare any of those cedar board staves, bring 'em to Marshall.  Marty and myself are looking for some.  We like to trade...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 06:29:01 pm »
I don't know a whole lot about making bows, I have only gotten two done so far.  But I really like the bow, and I think with the knot on it, although big, gives this bow a ton of character.

I like it!  :)
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 06:37:21 pm »
She's coming along nicely, Lee.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC