Author Topic: Osage Trade Bow (2nd attempt) COMPLETED - new pics  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Osage Trade Bow (2nd attempt) COMPLETED - new pics
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »
Well, spent the last week or so thinning an Osage stave down and chased a ring.  Built a Steam Rig and after an hour in the sauna I clamped it to my caul and here is where are today.

It will still need a little more heat treatment to correct a couple small alignment issues but the vast majority of my concerns came out during the initial Steam Bath.

I still need to decide on a handle design/layout so it is currently left heavy and untouched.  The thickness taper is not set yet and I need to see what a decent taper might be for a 62" NTN bow.

Any thoughts, help or critique is more than welcome.  Enjoy~

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:36:47 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Re: Osage Trade Bow (2nd attempt)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »
I think that your bow is coming along well. I am in no position to give advice on it but wanted to let you know that it looks great. Can't wait to see more. I am working on my first ever osage selfbow too.

Justin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:40 am »
Lee, get her bending and to low brace. You won't know what needs alignment until you brace the bow.  Looks like a nice piece of osage. Your basic shape is good so tiller it to that shape. Leave your handle and tips thick and wide until at least brace time. You don'r need them shaped to tiller the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:32 am »
looking good so far! Ill be watchin thanks ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:01 am »
heya lee
looking good!
did ya take any pix of yr steam rig?
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:37 pm »
Pat, thank you for the tips.  As you can see I may have already gotten ahead of myself with the shaping of the layout but I will make note not to do so until floor tillered on the next one.

Thanks guys!

Oh, Sadiejane...you don't want to see my steam rig.  I "copied" the one that Gary Davis shows in his DVD, however, been a cheap, dumb, dutchman I decided to save $6 and purchased cheap, flexible 4" dryer vent to attach to the 4" galvanized T (should have followed Gary's design to the letter) so after an hour of steaming the flexible vent had low spots that trapped all the condensated YELLOW steam/water which then proceeded to pour out onto our white stove and rug  :o  My wife is still quite pleased with me...

Anyway, note to self...use the steam rig on a hot plate or the grill outside or in the basement from now on.   ;D

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »
I finally got a few spare moments to spend some time on my Trade Bow.  I have reduced the handle area a little bit more, worked on the limb tapers and cut in the nocks so I could get a long string on it.  Here is a progress from tonight...seems a touch stiff on the lower (right) limb.

Thanks for looking~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:29 pm »
Looking good so far

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 02:35:34 am »
Way to get back in the saddle  ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:10 am »
Looking good Lee.  Should be a good one.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:07:55 am »
Well, got my thumb all healed up (don't ask) and made a bit more progress on the Bow tonight...

Here's a shot on the short string unbraced

And here is a shot of it pulling 55# @ 16"

This bow has a shorter lower limb (right side in pics) so I'm trying to do a positive tiller with it...seems a little stiff on the lower limb about mid-length?

Here's a pic of supper  ;D  I rolled down the window of the truck today to get the mail and looked over at the base of some of our landscaping bark, etc and spotted 2 of these guys so the hunt began.  Dang they were soooooooooo good breaded and fried in butter  >:D

Thanks for looking!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 01:47:11 am »
The bow is looking great the mushrooms look really good!

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:12 am »
oh my your a zombie!!

BRRAAAAINNNNNSSSSS!!!  lol

nice bow, by the way!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
Looking good so far,I would be careful with that spot 3 or 4 inches out of the fad on the right limb in the picture,I think it is just the hump in the limb but would watch it just the same. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »
Thanks Pappy, it is a hump and a twist that I chose to leave in the limb...we'll see how wise of a choice that was  ::)  I'll snap a pic of that area when I post again so I can get some opinions on the subject.  Thanks for pointing it out and sharing your thoughts.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold