Author Topic: Hickory in the making  (Read 2052 times)

Offline DLH

Hickory in the making
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:11 am »
59 in 1 1/2 to 1/4 in tips heat treated into about 2in of reflex what yall think?

Its not ideal on the back but I thought it being a lighter weight bow,heat treating, and slap some linen on it I thought what the heck? How much reflex you think it will hold half?

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Hickory in the making
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:09:04 pm »
looking good so far. with hickory you might be o.k. w/o a backing but the extra assurance is an easy job. make sure to post pics when done
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:36:38 pm »
I wouldn't heat treat it with the back fibres stepping down that much unless you back it. By heat treating the belly you make the back work harder. By reflexing you make the back work harder (and the belly too) too so you may be asking too much of that piece of wood unless backed. If you use the linen and heat treat the belly you should be able to safely keep some of that reflex. You didn't mention draw weight or draw length either which will make quite a difference.
Looks nice though, I love the slim tips. :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »
Thanks I was wanting to try a few new things and skinny tips and heat treating was what I decided. It was originally going to be a womens bow until we broke up but now I think I'm gonna keep it light at 35-40 and would like to get my draw length but 28 1/2 might be too much wish I had someone to give it to...

Offline DEllis

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »
I'd be leery of pushing that piece of wood to 28.5" but I'm a bit chicken.
Maybe finish it out like you had planned anyway? There's gonna be someone to give it to sooner or later :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:45 am »
More progress on my little bow...

Slowly but surely maybe it will make something...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:53 am »
Good luck,looking good ,it does seem to have a lot of run off,was it a board ? I would take the advice of others and back it for sure. Don't know much about boards but I do know run off on ant bow ant
good. :) Keep us posted. What did you do to the tips,splice something in  ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:42 am »
agree with others keep it light and back it, lots of run off in that piece of wood.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »
Too short and too many run outs for a 29 in draw even with a backing. Building board bows is all about learning which boards to leave in the store and that is one of them. Sorry to be so honest but I am when it comes to safety. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DLH

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »
Its just scrap from a board I cut a piece off of but I'll prolly just go to 25 at the most and definitely back it with linen.