Author Topic: not for bom  (Read 3850 times)

Offline billy bowmaker

not for bom
« on: April 21, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »
hi,

new here, and i notice alot of posts say (not for bom).  why do ppl put this?  Seems like so many people put that, it would be easier if you wanted to join the contest just to put (bom entry) after the post and everyone else who does not want to take part can sit back.

not that it matters, just curious

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: not for bom
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »
Billy, any bow that is pictured at full draw on the site automatically goes into the BOM. By adding "not for BOM" your bow will be eliminated from the BOM. That is just the way it works around here.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »
ok fair enough, just curious. 

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »
I can understand the reasoning but it sure is a shame.   There are some really righteous bows that don't get entered.  It would be nice if there was an issue with all the bows featured.  Those that worked and those that didn't.  That would be a good collectors item.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »
Going through 'unread postes' right now showed more 'not for bom' than others...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »
Maybe folk who've won it once are sitting back to let the others have a go?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »
Maybe some of the guys want to post their best work for the contest.  I don't quite follow that rationale, I vote for the bow, not the guys who made it.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:30:59 pm »
BOM by its very nature is competitive. Maybe some do not have the desire to win a "trophy" to validate their work  ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »
Going through 'unread postes' right now showed more 'not for bom' than others...

You have to look at the context of who posted the bows with (Not for Bom) Ken goes back and forth in whether he does BOM and Halfeye hasn't submitted for BOM for the majority of his time here at PA.  Dellis, well not sure about him.

BOM by its very nature is competitive. Maybe some do not have the desire to win a "trophy" to validate their work  ???

I don't need a trophy but the hat is very comfy. ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

i havent made very many bows in the last year and half or so
wheni do make one and if i decide t post pics i dont enter BOM because i am to competitive and hate to loose
and i dont need my ego stroked to feel good about the bows i make
not to mention i make them for fun and only fun
fun to make fun to shoot  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:34:22 am »
to give a reason for my change in entry ...i guess the best way to explain it is after about 80 bows in the contest i realized that i make quality bows that are fast , efficient , and user friendly but i lack the finish work and detail that it takes to be competitive in the bom. having said that i still enjoy every aspect of the build and im happy with the work im doing but i intend to get good enough to be called a Bowyer one day. the contest is great and showcases a lot of talent and professionalism i hope ya'll enjoy it and i will be voting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:44:41 am »
For me at least BOM is not considered a competition but like Ken said a showcase of the bows we have made. The BOM designation is chosen by your peers, the members of your PA family. I won BOM twice...a long time ago!   :D  I "enter" every bow I build by posting a full draw pic but it is not just to be chosen BOM...although I do need another cap   ::)...but because that is what PA is all about. Passing on the tradition of natural archery. And also, it is easier for Josh if we put not for BOM when we don't want our bows entered. Josh is the guy that puts this all together and has kept it at the high standard that Old Bow(Don Berg) placed it in the beginning....and except for his extensive staff of hard workers Josh does all of the work of getting it all together by himself.  8)
Thanks Josh!

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56:27 am »
" i realized that i make quality bows that are fast , efficient , and user friendly"

You sure do Ken, and that's why I've voted for a few of them.  There have been a few times that you made a bow with such beautiful tiller or a radical design, that it didn't matter if you still had shavings hanging off from it I'd have to vote for it. 
Nate Danforth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:34:51 am »
For me at least BOM is not considered a competition but like Ken said a showcase of the bows we have made. ...

Exactly! Isn't it great for everybody to see the increasing bunch of bows of increasing quality showcased all together at the end of the month!?

OF COURSE I don't see BOM as the major purpose here at PA! I actually won BOM with my very first entry a few years back, and I won it several times since. I had bows posted that won or almost won and i was totally surprised they did, and others that I thought they'd sure gone be a front runner for it's draw weight, design, finish, full draw, detail, you name it and they didn't come close. It's simply not objective. And it's nothing wrong with that. Not for me at least.
Just surprised of the increasing number of (Not BOM)-posts, but I also fully respect everyone's decision!

And yes, thanks Josh for putting it all together and doing such a nice job!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:44:22 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...