Author Topic: crepe myrtle stave bow (no bom)  (Read 13001 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: crepe myrtle stave bow (no bom)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:00 am »
Very nice Ken. I like the way it lays flat too. I don't see any set, but my eyed are geting old. Like others I know ::) ;D

I picked up a couple "logs" that people cut and layed out by the road. I can pick up some more now that I see what can be done with it. Very heavy wood when cut, but light as a feather when dry.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 11:01:20 am »
I remember hearing about people using crepe myrtle for bows before, and I've been watching the ones outside my office for a while now.  Wonder if anybody would notice if one suddenly lost a couple of stems?

Great bow, Ken!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »
I like seeing different woods being used most of all.  Way to go!
1’—>1’

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »
thanks Darcy ...you mean its supposed to be longer ? im just hard headed i guess. last one i built 64 inches i hit everything i walked by
lol Mark ,build one i wanna see it
Jon big as you are they prob wont say nuthin
thanks Parnell

Offline Gr8fulride

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:07:34 pm »
IreLly like the finish and the lines on that bow! There are mAny varieties of crepe Myrtle. The kinds I have crack in about a month after cutting. I do want to try Myrtle, from Douglas county Oregon though.. And will try to dry some more crepe Myrtle
If you wanna make an omelet, you've gotta break an egg.     John Wayne

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »
  What did you do for the back? Diid you chase a ring? Or just leave it alone?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ken75

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:33 am »
first of all i stated that it had 68 sg. looked it up today and its actuall 75 sg.
Mark on this one i scraped and sanded the bark down to a super thin layer . simlar to what they do with plum. there was some surface cracking but it stoped during tillering and i have shot this one for two days with no weakening and no more noise from the back . i dont think it will turn loose . might try steaming the bark off the next one , i plan to recurve it anyway

Offline johnston

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 12:44:56 am »
Super nice job on the bow. What did you use to seal the bark ?And is the wood that dark or is the color a stain?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just getting started and these slim , short, strong bows give me a warm fuzzy.

Lane

Offline ken75

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:07:18 am »
ebony stain and clear satin spray

Offline SA

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:31 am »
nice bow! ive been eyeballing  crepe murtle for a long time glad to know its good bow wood, thanks for posting it.
Shawn Acker

Offline ken75

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 06:45:37 pm »
thanks sa, it is a great wood to try , seems to grow everywhere and makes an awesome bow

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
You sure seem to defy the rules of practicalitiy and design!!! I can see in your work that you learned from a master artisan like Halfeye :o
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline ken75

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:05 am »
Cp , it may not always be right but im going to try it anyways .i have the abundance of materials and a brain that wont stop asking what if.
as far as Rich goes his expirence and willingness to help is unsurpassed. never met a more giving friendly guy even if he is a Yank !!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 02:16:55 am »
Ken, I'm just amazed at the flat unbraced limbs... No set. None.  Just awesome.  Oh and the rest of it is cool too.  :D.  I like the color, the handle, the arrow rest, the tiller.  And the fact that it's not a very commonly used bow wood.  At least it seems... Good job dude!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline half eye

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 02:35:16 am »
Cirveraville, Ken....I dont believe that it's like ya said here....me and ken (and other PA friends) just have active "what-if" sort of minds. We get together and kick ideas around, what-if's etc....and sort of feed off each other. I know that Ken, Hillbilly 61, N2huntin....and others are buildin bows and tryin stuff they sure did not get from me cause they build bows I probably wouldn't even try............any how, that's kind of what's in this site for me, sharing ideas with like minded folks, and I think that's what makes all of us better at this stuff. Just my 2 cents worth
rich