Author Topic: turkey secondaries?  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: turkey secondaries?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »
aah yes
I have been wanting to try that with pheasant feathers since there so plentifully for me
Just love the two fletch so much that I have not got to it yet
Maybe this weather will let up enough to do it soon
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

JustinNC

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:03:08 pm »
Pat I've been posting from my phone, but finally got a chance to see what you were talking about last night. Is that not a traditional 3 fletch except tied instead of glued? Couldn't see it all that well

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 12:03:23 pm »
Pat I've been posting from my phone, but finally got a chance to see what you were talking about last night. Is that not a traditional 3 fletch except tied instead of glued? Couldn't see it all that well

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:18:25 pm »
Buckeye, here is one option with smaller feathers. I believe it is called a tangential 3 fletch...

this is a primitive arrow James Parker gave me a few years ago with this type of fletching.

pat-thanks for posting these. i have lots of smaller feathers and tho i use em on other projects too, i keep thinking there's gotta be some way to use em for fletching.
after thumbing thru the encyclopedia of native amer bows arrows and quivers(both vols) a zillion times by now(they are beginning to get worn and ive only had em a cupla months)
they obviously used whatever feathers they had on hand. yes, of course, many are "traditional' fletches but they used all sorts of "other" feathers too.
thanks!!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »
Justin, I'll show you in person on Thursday!  ;)
  If you think about it, all the fletching does is slow the rear of the arrow so the arrow flies point first. Anything that will add drag to the arrow will work as fletching. Why waste useable feathers if they will work. The "fiberglass" mentality says to only use the best of the flight feathers to get the best arrow flight. How good does it have to be for a 20 yard or less shot.(hypethetical)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 11:44:33 pm »
Justin, I'll show you in person on Thursday!  ;)
  If you think about it, all the fletching does is slow the rear of the arrow so the arrow flies point first. Anything that will add drag to the arrow will work as fletching. Why waste useable feathers if they will work. The "fiberglass" mentality says to only use the best of the flight feathers to get the best arrow flight. How good does it have to be for a 20 yard or less shot.(hypethetical)

As I said, I shall trust ye who is long in the beard.  ;)  I have another crazy idea I will try on some cane when I get more time, using less than primo feathers.