Author Topic: Community Bows near completion.  (Read 24688 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Community Bows near completion.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 07:43:50 am »
Can someone tell me what the last community bow went for, where it was auctioned and how many new subscriptions were generated?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 10:07:35 am »
Dana, From what I've heard it went for $150. It was auction off at MoJam. I don't know how many subscriptions it generated. Maybe Marie or Sarah could tell you that.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 10:16:43 am »
You see where I'm going with this eh. It just doesn't seem like you are going to get
the exposure that your looking for at one of the hunting banquets.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

bullcreekboy

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 12:41:21 pm »
$150 dollars is way too cheap. :o I am on the RMEF committee here in our local town. We have a pretty good turnout at the banquets. We average around 250 attendants. I donated a simple BBI at the last banquet and it sold for $425. The key at the banquets is to have a good auctioneer and really get the crowd involved. When we have an item that is donated and auctioned at the banquet we always take a minute to give a little speech and try to get some press time for the organization that donated the item. I am not sure how the other organizations handle their banquets.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:55 pm »
Dana, I think that MoJam is the wrong place to auction off our Community Bows. Everyone there makes their own bows and nobody is carring a wad of money when they come...plus, a lot of folks already subscribe to PA. All of the suggestions are worth looking into. The money recieved is not the point. We don't get it anyway. What we are looking for is the most publicity(and subscriptions) as we can get for Primitive Archer Magazine. This is one reason I like the idea of one of the National Organizations.
   Shannon, Can you get us info about when RMEF will hold their next banquet?
  As I said before, this is NOT my decision to make. When we get all of this info coordinated, we will put it to a vote amoung all parties involved and that is all of our members. We have 2 complete sets that can be raffled off with either one group or 2 differant groups. That's another decission we will have to make.
  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StanM

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 01:41:44 pm »
Here in Michigan the high schools are reviving archery as a sport. So that could be another avenue.
Another idea would be next CBP perhaps Matius and AndrewS could spearhead a European bow project, Marc and and the other
Canucks could do a one. The war bow guys from across the big pond etc. Their is lots of potential here. Personally I don't see PA getting that much exposure
from Whitetail or Turkey federation. From what I've seen of these organizations I see mostly trophy hunters and high tech gadget laden hunting snobs.
Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment. I really believe the place to get em is schools when thier young. Perhaps Nugget could offer a perspective as he teaches bow building at a school.

Dana, you are right on the money when you say the place to get them is in schools when they are young.  Trouble is that very few schools will allow students to make a weapon.

When I started the archery class at my school, I didn't intend for it to be a traditional only class, but I really don't know much about compound bows.  Not to worry, the kids really prefer making and shooting their own bows.  Really fun for me to be around a group of youngsters that just enjoy watching the arrows fly.  No agenda on their part.  They love the simplicity of "old school" archery.

It would be great if more kids could be exposed to archery in this manner, but I don't know how many schools would allow it.  I know that my principal went to bat for me with more than a couple community members who were put off by the idea of having weapons at school.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:58 pm »
You know, Its unfortunate that most folks don't realize its not a weapon unless it is used as a weapon. A cast iron skillet is a very effective weapon but no one thinks of it as one. If kids are taught to use these, and other tools, correctly and safely there would be a lot less trouble and misunderstanding about it.
  I'm all for getting kids involved in archery. Thats why I donate low weight bows to the archery clubs I frequent. Watching the face of a kid with a new bow is worth way more than any money I could get for my bows.     Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 03:47:39 pm »
You are a good man Pat.  I don't think this bow is the right bow to go to a school.  The skins would be trashed in a week.  I think something a little more durable would be better.  I do have a thought for everyone to ponder on.  Maybe we could do a project were everyone makes a kid bow and we gift a bunch to an after school kids program or something.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 04:25:17 pm »
For what it's worth my vote goes to the RMEF for the Northern bow. Unfortunately they have already had their national auction for this year.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 06:48:22 pm »
Whats the RMEF?

Justin I love yer idear, count me in.

Perhaps a subscription drive by present subscribers to PA magazine, who ever sells the most subscriptions gets the bow.
Divided into the north and south of course.

Pat a automobile is the most deadly weapon I know of, but they teach driving in the schools.

I just ordered 3 more years of back issues ;D Half way there.

To our European friends would you guys be willing to do a bow package next time?

Just so you guys know, I realize I'm very opinionated, sometimes downright cantankerous, wife says I was born a grumpy ole man ;D
But I also will not hesitate to help someone when their down on their luck. Over the years I have volunteered for many different community projects
and most times I end up burned but thats life eh. I realize few if any share my opinion on things and thats ok. To each their own right!
I'm very new at this new hobby, but my hunger to learn is ravenous. I appreciate each and everyone of you guys and gals. We can disagree over and over
but in the end we all share the same addiction. BTW if ya find a stinky fish under yer seat it was most likely me ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:07 pm »
RMEF = Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 07:40:20 pm »
Dana, The last Community Bow Project consisted of an East Coast Set(Canada included), a West Coast Set and a European Set. I believe the European Bow broke and they lost enthusiasm. Also, it was a lot more difficult for them because they were trying to work across borders.
   This is my 3rd Community Bow Project. I was on the tail end of the first one, adding tip overlays and refinishing the bow. I also donated a saddle stitched oak tanned leather back quiver with elk fir collar. Never heard from any of them again. :'( I didn't get discouraged(a little disappointed) because I know the potential the CBP has. I guess that's why I seem so possessive about this one. Even though I only added the string and handle wrap material, I feel as much a part as anyone.
   I am going to start a poll in the near future so everyone will have a chance to vote. I will add all of the suggestions that have come up so far and that will come up before the poll. ;)          Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 09:31:38 pm »
Pat all I did was cheer from the sidelines, I can't even begin to say or show how much respect
I have for all the guys that participated in the CBP north or south. It is simply amazing to see the
dedication that is present on this forum and the PA community as a whole. No matter what happens
with the bows you guys did yer part and for that I think we all applaud ya for a job well done.

Had the day off spent it finishing a bow and started building a hot box  Feels so dang good ;D

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »
pat as far as im concerned you are in charge. elk foundation sounds great . i really like the idea of the kids bows. definetly not in connecticut. bringing a bow on to school grounds up here and the feds will show up. lol

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 06:48:24 pm »
I would like to reiterate my suggestion from the first page. Understanding it would be more work BUT, I think getting in a widely published magazine to run a give away would be the most exposure. I am not referring to just archery hunting but general hunting. The type that are sold over the counter everywhere, Walmart, Quicktrip, book stores etc. Heck, put a time limit on it, the winners to be drawn from all new scripts in the next 6 months or something like that.

Ok, beat me up now   ;D