Author Topic: Bernie's GUAVA snake bow (full draw pics)....Bernie shooting her  (Read 30848 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Bernie's GUAVA snake bow (full draw pics)
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 12:30:34 am »
Wow that was quick, glad it's there safely, and glad you like it, ...yeah, my photografy is quite poor ::) ::),...maybe you can do her some justice
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline jpitts

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 12:57:50 am »
Thanks Manny, I can't remember what was in the email. ::)  See what happens when your hair turns gray?  ;D   Ma halo
Bernie, I'm envious. You have a beautiful Polynesian weapon.....WOW.....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 01:04:12 am »
Manny, I know how sincere Bernie is and I feel his joy. Congrats to both of you. ;)
  Bernie, will she(Hula Girl) be ready to shoot at ATAR? I'll bet $1 you bring her! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 08:23:08 am »
That was fast indeed, Manny - almost blew me away - with pleasure - LOL

You do know me, Pat - thank you. I think she should be, and you'd win that bet in any case. If I can do her justice in shooting I might even shoot the primitive class as well as the regular at ATAR, just for kicks, since this is the first year you can shoot in more than one class there. I should get some more low spine Canes made up - but if not I have some low spine Ramin dowels that I bet she'll like - and one real crooked Sourwood Arrow from "a friend", that shoots straighter than I do :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:29:57 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 02:06:24 pm »
5/16" ramin should spine out of 'Hula Girl", when is ATAR ? like to hear what Pat thinks of the bow
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline ber643

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:51 pm »
2nd weekend in July, Manny. I'm pretty sure Pat would love this bow -  I wouldn't hesitate to  bet a month's Retirement pay on it. However, he told me he can't make ATAR this year - The Rascal. Probably won't get to see him until next year at Hickory now - unless we get together somewhere along the line - depends on how bad he wants to meet "Hula Girl"  ;). More pics before too awfully long if all goes well, guys.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 09:26:25 am »
I am going to show you Mannny's "Hula Girl" in action in her new home in NC. I've had her about a week and a half but she needed to acclimate (taking sunbaths in our climate). I also made a purty white, black, and yellow Flemish Twist string, with fur strips for her. I have grown to love her even more during this time of just handling her. Yesterday I served and put nocks on the string and it was time for our first shooting foray together. I'll tell you about that later. Please remember I was nervous as a teenager on a first date and we were just getting used to each other. I will post more pics latter but here are a few teasers this morning.

From Hawaii to NC:

Contemplation:

Pick A Spot:

Full Draw1:

Brace After Release:

See ya's later with some more pics.  :)

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 09:57:11 am »
She's looking good, Bernie. That's a big jump from Hawaii to eastern NC.  By the way, Bernie, Where is your skirt? ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:26 am »
LOL - I've retired it and am thinking of putting it and the Pom-pom up as an "offered item" for collectors, in next year's 4th annual tradgang.com St. Jude Auction - now hush, Pat  ;) - Skirts are only a once a half century thing!   ::)

It is my true pleasure to add to Manny's post on this bow. (The bow means a great deal to me, as do you guys opinions of it, and of friend Manny.)

Some detail pics of this fine Guava bow from Manny:

Hanging:

Zebrawood Tip Overlay(s):

Natural Hemp Handle Wrap (& Flemish Twist String by Bernie):

Full Draw 6:

Brace After Release 3:

15 Yard Results:

As I said, First time out. I find I have to Cant well and still pick a spot well to the right to hit where I would like to with pretty much all of my wood primitive/lam/self bows. Maybe I'll work around that some day  :-\ . The arrows you see with the "tracers" on them are Ramin dowel shafts (in light spine) that I made. The three with Fl green nocks and feathers are alum (shhhh - just to "see how she liked them"). AND the one right in the center with the tracer is a Cane arrow in light spine I made - it flew like a dart. (I gotta make some more light spined Canes - LOL)

Let me say my "go-to-bow" is a Adcock ACS and it is a fast little rascal that I shoot fairly well (when I pay attention   ;)) so I have an idea of fast, smooth, and hard hitting. That having been said, this "Hula Girl", my Guava Bow from Manny, is a fast spitting , smooth shooting, hit like a veritable Frieght Train, full of authority bow - and I love shooting it, as well as love it period. Too bad everybody couldn't shoot it (or one like it.) Thanks for looking. Maybe some more pics from our first outing, later, if you want.  :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:45:46 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 11:49:28 am »
Thats a beaut Manny,don't know how I missed it earlier,I know ber643 is loving that.I love the tips and the finish looks great to me.You know I am parshell to snaky bow anyway.Great job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2007, 03:35:30 pm »
Glad you like her Bernie, hopefully she'll give you years of good shooting,....and, how about a deer? ;D ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

Re: Bernie's GUAVA snake bow (full draw pics)....Bernie shooting her
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2007, 05:04:37 pm »
Based on that arrow grouping I'd say the guava bow acclimated to NC and Bernie's shooting style just fine. You make us proud Manny!
Gordon

Offline ber643

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2007, 06:22:01 pm »
Thank you, Manny. I'm sure of the firtst and I can always hope for the second -  :)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

duffontap

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2007, 06:45:56 pm »
Very nice!  Great setting, too!

J. D.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 10:56:16 am »
Manny, that is a beautiful bow with a great tiller. Bernie, enjoy it in good  health. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!