Author Topic: bandsaw query??  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Mister D

bandsaw query??
« on: April 16, 2011, 01:27:49 pm »
HI

I've made a few bows now, some successful some not, and i want to get a bandsaw to ease the roughing out stage - would this be suitable for bow making? i use mainly board staves and thought that this would be great (mainly because i can afford it!)

http://www.woknghamtools.co.uk/product-php/section/sn/wnww711

any advice would be most welcome

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:21:53 pm by Pat B »
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bandsaw query??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:20:44 pm »
That saw will probably do what you want but if you plan on using it alot, I'd go with a bigger, more powerful model. I use a 14", 1 hp Grizzley bandsaw. I had a 10" Grizzley but found it under power for the mostly stave bows I build.
  Because the link is to a non PA advertiser I have disabled it. You can put the name of the product but not a direct link!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mister D

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »
sry Pat.

Charnwood W711 Bench top bandsaw, 8" throat

a larger bandsaw would probably have move usability but i am really short of space, both storage and usage - most of the bow making i've done has been in the kitchen (my wife loves that!)  but now that summer is on it's way i can work outdoors

Mr D
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »
I love working on bows outdoors in the earliest light of day.  Suck a little coffee outa da cup, scrape a curl or two, listen to the birds, suck a little more coffee...my mind is always uncluttered at that hour, my hands are steadier, and my eye sharper.  It's a sweet time of the day for me.

By the way, I like your tagline, "The next one will be better". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mister D

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:30:05 pm »
HI JW

i always prefer to go fishing at stupid o'clock in the morning, the sound of the river and birds and absolutely no-one around - which is rare and beautiful thing where i live....

i like to make wood shavings after work to get rid of pent-up Grrrrrr!

Mr D

Offline Mister D

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:38:18 pm »
I'll just add that i live in England where hunting with bows is very illegal :'(

so when i feel that I'm a proficient enough archer to go hunting I'm going to go to hunting in France where it is still very much legal

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
now thats what i love about turkey hunting
the sounds of the woods in the morning as nature wakes up
no one else around but the wife next to me
and becoming one with good ol' mother earth again

man i cant wait to get in the woods this spring

sorry you cant hunt in your home land Mister D  :(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Mister D

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

sorry you cant hunt in your home land Mister D  :(

it truly sucks!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »
I've tried making bows when I have pent up emotions.  Didja know blacksmithing techniques make poor bows?  I'll stick to mornings. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »
i always prefer to go fishing at stupid o'clock in the morning, the sound of the river and birds and absolutely no-one around - which is rare and beautiful thing where i live....

i like to make wood shavings after work to get rid of pent-up Grrrrrr!

Mr D

I agree with fishing early (my wife would agree that it's stupid o'clock), but I love to fire up the outboard and head across a lake when the mist is coming up off the water and the surface is as smooth as glass.  But, I haven't done that in a very long time and don't even own a boat anymore :'(.

Pat is right, I also use a 14" 1hp saw, mine is a Jet.  I ruined a stave trying to force it through a little tabletop band saw.  The blade didn't cut straight and I was removing a lot more wood on the bottom than on the top.  By the time I got everything lined up I was way under the draw weight I wanted.  These days I use the band saw less and less and just rough everything out with a draw knife.

Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Mister D

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
I've tried making bows when I have pent up emotions.  Didja know blacksmithing techniques make poor bows?  I'll stick to mornings. 

i find bow making remarkably calming - like meditation

Offline Mister D

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »
ah - the mist coming off the water and having to take of your jacket off  by 05:00 cos your too hot

summer summer sumnmer :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »
There are some small mountain lakes here that tend to collect fog in the early mornings.  Cruising softly across them in the canoe with a 5 weight flyrod flossing for trout is kinda sweet, too. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 04:20:28 pm »
The smaller saw will work!  You don't want to force it but if you take your time and work at the saw's pace you should be OK with the smaller model. Also, try to get the best blade you can afford.  Be sure to make your cuts outside of your lines incase the blade wanders then come to your line with a rasp or plane.
  I like removing bark and sapwood when I feel grrrrrr but not tillering. I need a clear mind then I can get in the groove. If I start feeling agrivated or can't concentrate I put down the tools and go do something else.
  I use my bandsaw very little also but the work I use it for is hard, rough work...reducing a stave to almost bow shape. From that point on I use a rasp to floor tiller stage and eventually only a scraper while searching for good tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mister D

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »
The smaller saw will work!  You don't want to force it but if you take your time and work at the saw's pace you should be OK with the smaller model. Also, try to get the best blade you can afford.  Be sure to make your cuts outside of your lines incase the blade wanders then come to your line with a rasp or plane.
  I like removing bark and sapwood when I feel grrrrrr but not tillering. I need a clear mind then I can get in the groove. If I start feeling agrivated or can't concentrate I put down the tools and go do something else.
  I use my bandsaw very little also but the work I use it for is hard, rough work...reducing a stave to almost bow shape. From that point on I use a rasp to floor tiller stage and eventually only a scraper while searching for good tiller.

many thanks Pat and every one else , i am mainly going to use it to save my forearms,wrist,knife from the hard, rough work  - i'll be off to the shops next week then

can't wait

new toy!