Author Topic: Bowfishing kit  (Read 3988 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Bowfishing kit
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »
Anyone familiar with this from 3Rivers?

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=7601X

Any other recommendations?  Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Bowfishing kit
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »
The AMS Retriever is a really good reel, and the Sting-a-ree points work really well. The safety slide is something you definitely want on your arrow, too. So, good components, but you're probably paying more for the batch because of the video (but it might be a good one, too.) What kind of bow are you planning on using? To put that Retriever reel on a selfbow, you would also have to get an adapter of some sort that you could screw the reel into, then bungee or tape it to your bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »
That is by far, the best retrieval system made, JMO. It will not tangle and break your line. Like Steve said, you have to have a screw in limb insert to use it, or a strap on one like I have for self bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:43 am »
I have an old *gasp* compound that hasn't been shot in a few years I thought about attaching it to. I only have homemade longbows and recurves without screw ins and the velcro attachments do not seam very reliable. Do they work good?  I've never even been, so not real sure what I want ???  I am going to order that model, just don't know what I'm going to put it on. Thanks Eddie and Steve!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:10:15 pm by Hobow »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:53 am »
Jeff, I use one of those adapters that straps to the bow with bungees, it works really well. Chris has one of those AMS retrievers mounted on a Kodiak recurve. Check this out if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11hvCYtoP0
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:28 am »
If you check the back threads I have one on my homemade bow reel mount I love but I did figure out if your not shooting 6 ft gar then it's easyr and faster to reload if you just tie the string to your beltloop or you belt  of corse I have a 300lb test line on my arrow because of 6th gar :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
Here is the link if you decide to make thisone just stuff some padding in-between the mount and bow so it done mess up the finish

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17899.0.html
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline HoBow

Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »
If you have a recurve your not emotionaly attached to you can just screw the reel to the riser.I did this for my daughter using stainless sheetmetal screws,she has pulled in a few big heads in the 40-45lb range a fish of any size you will bring in by hand any way so stress is not an issue.I painted hers pink with some AMS stickers on the limbs and pink arrows(she was tickled pink). the rest of the equipment you mentioned is all good stuff. We shoot alot of fish.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
If you want the Gadget Adapter with the rubber bungees that wrap around the riser, kind of like the Great Northern bow quivers, I have one I don't use any more.  I used it with a bowfishing rig and it works fine and helps keep from scuffing up the bow too bad.  You might want to watch how far you screw in the reel when you attach it or it can make contact with the bow back.  I solved that with a bit of southern engineering.  Let me know if you want it though.

Another option is to use some coordage attached to a gallon milk just or two.  Shoot and grab the jug to haul em back in.  Nothing stuck on your bow that way.  ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:45 am »
ive been looking for this exact thing.  i think im wanting to use my samick skb 50 for bow fishing.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.