Author Topic: Yew Self Bow w/ Pics  (Read 12048 times)

330bull

Yew Self Bow w/ Pics
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:35:18 am »
Well...I had quite a weekend of highs, lows, but please allow me to elaborate...

I had a 75 year old logger sell me a yew log for $35 two years ago.  I promised to make him a bow from the log and after several broken staves I actually built a sweet shooter.  Here are the Specs:

- 66" ntn
- 55# @ 27"
- 1 3/16" @ handles, then faded to 7/16" @ the tips

When I delivered the bow last Sunday, Ken was beside himself; he was grinning from ear to ear like a kid in a candy store.  He's still a great bow hunter as proven by his P&Y Roosevelt Bull he shot last year @ 10 yards; the old fart has ice in his veins!  He was having a blast and after the ~40th shot or so, disaster struck... :(...the lower limb blew up.  I practically cried when it happened but thankfully he just grinned and said "oh well, it sure was pretty Joe..."  I refuse to post the pictures of the broken bow, the carnage is too much to bear.

I suspect the flat spot on the lower limb may have put too much pressure on specific parts of the lower limb.  Quite honestly I did not want to remove any more weight and especially since the bow still shot very well and with minimal hand shock.  In retrospect, I probably should have tillered it and removed the flat spot; sadly that was probably a poor decision in hindsight.  Any thoughts here?  Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Anyway.. I probably had 25 hours on this bow and I have ONE stave left.  I was hoping to keep this one for myself, but I refuse to own a yew self bow before Ken; he deserves it!  I cannot wait to start working on it and deliver another one.  This time I'll also try to build an osage bow for him too..so he has a backup!

Enjoy.  Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]

330bull

Re: Yew Self Bow w/ Pics
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:37:01 am »
More Pics...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:25:46 am »
Very nice bow.
   Pappy :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:50:58 am »
Sorry for the loss Joe, it sure was pretty. Good attitude on yer part get back in the shop and try again.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:16:53 am »
That is an awful shame that bow had to let go, she is a real beauty. I know what it is like to see imperfections in tiller, yet just can't seem to scrape anymore because you don't want to lose any more weight, been there done that. Good luck on your next attempt and keep your head up. ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:54:28 am »
You may consider reducing the length of the non working handle next time. This will give you more working limb and reduce overal stress on the limbs.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:03:32 am »
Like Marc said, there is a lot of wood not working in the handle and fades. It was a beautiful bow though. At least Ken got to shoot it a couple of times.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:56:17 am »
Live and learn!    I know how you feel though, having broken several bows myself. Don't stop and don't give up! You'll get a good shooter from that last one, I know it.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 01:00:55 pm »
Joe,

Before I put a finish on a bow I excercise it on my tillering tree for about 5 days - 100 pulls a day. If something isn't quite right, it will usually reveal itself during that period.

That was a beauty though.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »

that is a really nice bow indeed!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
like Gordon said, finishing it's a lot of work better make sure the bow is O.K. before.

would some kind of backing helped ?

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 02:25:57 pm »
Did it break 8" below the bottom of the handle?

J. D.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:06:56 pm »
What a sweet bow :'(- oh well. It doesn't seem to have any flat spot to me- inconsistent tapering (thin spot). But I might just be seeing things!

Can you make them any longer?

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 07:52:04 pm »
That is a beauty.  Yew is very strong and sometimes is doesn't reveal problems with tiller until it's been exercised quite a bit.  The bow was short and narrow considering how long the non-working section is.  When you work with Strunk, you notice how he constantly feels the thickness of the bow.  I could be wrong, but I'd guess the thin spot in the photo is where the bow broke?

I'm very sorry for you.  It is a very nice looking bow. 

J. D. Duff

330bull

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:35 pm »
Well I checked this morning and the limb break started ~12" below the handle section and continued towards the tip.  I'll make sure the next bow has more working limbs as well as a probable cherry bark backing just for insurance purposes.