Author Topic: New Static HHB  (Read 10189 times)

Offline barebo

New Static HHB
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
This is my second attempt at a recurve - boiled the tips for an hour and bent the daylights out of it. Did raise a few splinters, even with the band on the form, but I left a lot of material there and right now have worked it down to  nice smooth transitions. May have to cut an inch from each tip, but I think it wants to be a bow.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: New Static HHB
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »
Cool! I look forward to seeing her done thanks for shareing

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:23:45 pm »
wow those are some serious bends, keep it coming, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:21 pm »
now that's a static recurve sir......ought to be a rocket launcher

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:13 am »
Can't wait to see this bow braced...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »
yeah...those are some serious recurves. how long is the bow?

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
Wow, now there are some serious bent tips! Mine never come out even remotely close to those. Looking forward to seeing that bow finished.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »
I think you'll find that less angle and/or less total amount of recurve works better.
 Recurves like that do look really good and you can feel the difference in the draw but it doesn't reflect as greater arrow speed as is often assumed.
 A bow is a 'rocket launcher' based on more important factors than just having sharp recurves.
 You will notice that Marc St Louis has tweaked his recurves so there is quite a bit less out at those tips.

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »
And this is Hop Hornybeam? I am amazed you were able to get that much bend in it. Wow!

CP

Offline barebo

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »
Pat - I'm in total agreement with you regarding the "extra" material  not adding anything to the overall package. I should have used a 2x4" rather than a 2x6" and would have had a better result. My primary objective was to get a true static and basically satisfy my desire to see if I could actually make the wood take that degree of bend, which it obviously has. I just finished my first HHB recurve which has much less radius in the tips, and it's a performer for sure. I could have reduced the tip mass another 30% and even gotten more out of it, as well as inducing reflex before tillering, but I wanted a durable and dependable weapon. For this one, I'm hoping to get a more narrow limbed 50's style with true statics. Am I hot on Marc St. Lewis' speed demon concepts ??? Hardly. He is a master bowyer, and I'm just a guy that likes to keep busy and love casting arrows with a bow that came from a living tree that I harvested. Just as I like to catch a trout on a rod I built with a fly of my own design. If I can finish this out and it will put arrows on the mark, I'll be satisfied. I have no ego to feed nor am I vying for any "best bow" accolades. I just thought some might enjoy seeing something different.

It's 65" tip to tip currently and 1-3/4" wide.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »
I hear you. Got a couple of old school Grumley recurves myself that are more for looks than pure performance.
 Rather than risk longer HHB staves I splice in Elm recurves siince Elm bends far easier and more reliably to that degree of curve.
 A master bowyer is someone with a gift rather than time and number of bows under their belt. You've got that gift.

Offline barebo

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:43:46 pm »
I'm feeling very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to cut the log that provided me with 6 really prime staves. I made 2 bows for a fellow at work for their summer camp (actually Chalet), and he gifted me with my choice of any HHB on his land, and I picked a fairly large one. I have a longbow planned and am considering trying a "D" belly, but don't know if it's the way to go or not??
I can't seem to be entertained with much of what is on the boob tube these days, and selfbows honestly fascinate me !!! I'm thinking I may get to low brace tomorrow - we'll see.

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:47 am »
keep up the good work.i have a Marc ST. Louis HHB static recurve.it shoots an arrow crazy fast.it is 49@27 but you would swear it was a heavier bow.i am sure yours is going to turn out great,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 05:36:51 am »
Looking good. Nice curves.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:04 am »
Those are some pretty intense curves.  Must have been a little hairy making those.  It looks good so far.  Looking forward to seeing it progress.  Keep us posted and keep up the good work. 
Traverse City, MI