Author Topic: Time to get crackin'  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Time to get crackin'
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:11:21 pm »
So my Traditional bowyer's bible series one came in the mail yesterday, and i have some questions as to were and what type of wood i should pruchase.

I'm 15 so my funds are very limited to my $10 i am reluctant to spend and whatever my dad will spare, which knowing him won't be much at all unless were going to homedepot or lowes for something else and he says i can get wood.

I want to make a long bow and eventually a recurve or retroflex. Can you even make recurve/retro bow with boards from the store?

Whats your personal expiernces with differnt types of wood.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Time to get crackin'
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »
I would recomend talking dad into takeing you to homedepot and look for a straight grained red or white oak board, you should be able to get a 6' board for under 10 dollars, make sure to let it rehidrate for a couple weeks or more before doing any tillering but you can mark out the bow and get it cut out http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,15690.0.html check this out should help you out allot
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »
yeah you can build recurve's and deflex reflex with board lumber, a board is really just a decroiwned stave, might want to start with a pyramid bow, 4est did a great build-a-long on one from a red oak board and it is really detailed, don't know if it's on here or tradegang but I'm sure if you PM him he'll hook ya up, good luck, Bub
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:35:21 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:36:02 pm »
my only advise would be to listen to these guys....they wont stear ya wrong.
rich

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:50:00 pm »
Red oak makes a great bow... It is definitely possible to make a recurve from a board. I'd go to lowes or homedepot and get a nice 1x2x6 red oak or maple board and make a good longbow. Check out the  poorfolksbow website and george's site, they are both great. Good luck.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:36:46 pm »
I would advice to read the very first chapter op TBB vol. 1 to start with. Only after you've read that chapter, you can start by picking a decent board in Lowes/Home Depot. As a matter of fact, it may be wiser to read the first volume entirely before you do any bow related purchases. The first volume will really increase your insights on bowyery, so you'll know much better what you are dealing with tool and bow wise.
A board is the way to go with your first bow. A (red) oak board is great, since you can find it at Lowes/Home Depot. But an ash, hickory or maple board is great as well, which can be found at a lumberyard.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Acutus

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:39 am »
Listen to these guys and you can't go wrong! I recently made my first bow out of a red oak board from home depot so it is definitely doable! You have to know what your looking for though and you'll need to look through a lot of boards. So do your research to figure out what you need to look for then go get it and have fun!

Good luck!! Very nice to see a young person so interested in making a bow!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:38:08 am »
my only advise would be to listen to these guys....they wont stear ya wrong.
rich

Ditto....
They have put up with my questions for some time now.
They are all very patient and know there stuff.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:08 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:57:06 am »
Jawge's site will give you a quickstart on building bows from boards, his stuff is great.  The stuff in the Bowyer's Bible's will go into greater depth, something that may not help until you have some shavings on the floor to give you perspective.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:04 am »
You and your Dad should read George's site together. It will explain everything the way a teacher explains things!  ;)  Having a mutual project could help with the 15 year old blues for both of you.  ;D
 In TBBI, read Tim Baker's "Bow Design and Performance" and Paul Comstock's "Other Bow Woods!"
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:02:03 am »
Good luck with you're first bow ......
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:45 pm »
Just wonderin if you want to post up where you live.  Someone may be around to help out as well.  Nothing beats seeing things done in person.  Also, may be some recommendations on you thinking about cutting some wood for staves and letting them start to season.  You may find this addicting.  A few of us do... ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:48:44 pm »
Just wonderin if you want to post up where you live.  Someone may be around to help out as well.  Nothing beats seeing things done in person.  Also, may be some recommendations on you thinking about cutting some wood for staves and letting them start to season.  You may find this addicting.  A few of us do... ;D
I'm sorry i wont post anything more than PA
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 01:56:46 am »
That's not a bad idea, BG.  Keep an eye on people's posts when they talk about where they are located and you might find someone that is nearby.  Discuss it with your folks and maybe you can set up a meeting.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.