Author Topic: one more osage trade bow (finished)  (Read 10791 times)

Stringman

one more osage trade bow (finished)
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:50 pm »
I hope you ain't gettin tired of lookin at yeller wood. I started work on my trade bow a couple month ago and the ideas are just a runnin through my head. Problem is I can't keep up with 'em and I find I'm gettin ahead of myself (at least in thought.)

This is where I'm at now, still pretty rough and haven't put a string on it yet. After roughin it out I let it set some and continue to dry. Did some minor straightening and flipped the tips. Went with rawhide backing cause I wanted this bow to last forever. Putting antler tips on it and hope to get the string groves cut in this week. I'm not much of an artist, but I like to think that this bow will be a super strong and enduring hunting bow for someone. I feel like its between 80 and 90# right now so I'll need to take a little off the belly. (ok a lot!) Also, think I need to shorten up the grip a little to give more workin limb to the bow.

Let's hear it. I want the good and the bad. I might not take your advice, but I'd like to hear your opinion!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:04:09 am by Stringman »

Offline sailordad

Re: one more osage trade bow
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »
damn that gonn be nice  8)
cant wait to see it finished up
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:27 pm »
I agree very nice. Cool looking tips!
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »
I agree that is going to be an awsome bow! Look forward to seeing more

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline SA

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »
can yo ever get tired of lookin at yeller wood  :) i like the tips too. gonna be sharp.
Shawn Acker

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:56:14 pm »
what's not to like, looking good, look's to me like it want's to be left handed, really look's like a lefty so if you're trade guy is right handed ya can just send it to me ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »
I like it too, very nice.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:28 pm »
Pretty plush shop you got there!  ;D  The bow looks nice, too.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:45 am »
very nice ;D

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:26:19 am »
Forrest, that there chair belonged to my grampa. And I plan to keep it a real long time and take many a knap there.  ;D ;D

Went out to eat with the family and ran home thinkin about putting a string on it. Here it is. Like I said earlier, I'm gonna need to take some wood off, cause she's still plenty stiff. I do like the way the tips are turnin out though.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:52 am »
Wow that was fast! did you already take the handle down in size some for more of a working limb? looks good
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:00 am »
 Lookig great, Those will be some nice character on the tips,  ;)

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »
No I haven't reduced the handle area yet, I wanted to get a pic up of the bow with the limbs bending. Thought it would give everyone a better idea of what it looks like. Whadaya think, is it necessary?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:18 pm »
Thats completely up to you your the designer, the more the working limb the better IMO but the only reason I asked is because you said you though you might shorten up the grip to give it a little more working limb and I couldnt tell from the picture if had or hadnt done it ;D looks really good though

Josh

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:27 pm »
that's a beauty Stringman, love what you have done so far. rawhide looksnice and smooth. now stoke the fire in that stove and take a snooze. ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis