Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 23351 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »
It still took some studying to figure it out.  I think I got it now.  I couldn't figure out how pulling the trigger would fire it, if the pull of the string didn't cause it to fire. It actually pushes down inside of the stock and wedges in. When the trigger is pulled the angle on the bottom of the trigger and the taper on the top back forces the trigger up. When it slides up the pull of the string pulls it forward causing it to fire.  Does the trigger pull out of the top, or was it inserted from the side and a block glued in after it was fitted?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 05:12:47 pm »
There are 4 inscribed lines , 2 on either side of the trigger so I guess that is where the trigger is inserted and the "plug" replaced. It's such a good fit, I can't tell for sure. ???  The trigger is made from one piece of wood and won't come out either direction.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Bikewer

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 05:20:19 pm »
Thanks for the many replies.  I thought I'd inadvertently stepped into a "taboo" subject... ;D

I've always been interested in a variety of primitive weapons; I've built an atlatl, used a sling for many years, thrown knives....Hehe, just a weapons nut.
With this, it's as much about the building as anything else.  I don't intend to hunt with it or anything; just sort of fascinated by the mechanism.

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 05:08:49 pm »
This is not a crossbow, or a bow per se, but still, an arrow firing device I mentioned earlier. It's a scorpio, or scorpian, a small arrow firing catapulta, the design dating back well over 2000 years. They use these in the opening battle scene of Gladiator, and some scorpios are used in the film Kingdom of Heaven.

I expect this machine will produce over 500 pounds, and fire a large javalin, a kind of mutant cross bow bolt. It is powered by torsion springs made of rope, which will be a later step, once I bore 3" holes in the spring frame. How it works is a slider mechanism is pulled back with a rope, pully, and winch system, and locked back with a trigger. Scropians were the smallest seige engines an army would field, especially the Imperial Roman legios.

I expect that machine will be ready for testing in about 6 months. Then, I'll create a more complete posting, and hopefully, have some video of Romans crewing the machine.

I like to think of this as the ultimate war bow, or one interpretation of a bow of war. Except for the brass or steel washers a machinist is going to make, and some iron fittings such as the trigger and some brackets for the base, it is made of ash. Davenport the Pug is there for size comparison.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:10:36 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

SimonUK

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 07:53:46 pm »
Look forward to seeing that Dane ...it sounds like a serious piece of kit. What a cute dog!

Offline Loki

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 08:04:17 pm »
Scropians were the smallest seige engines an army would field, especially the Imperial Roman legios.

The Manuballista is smaller than the Scorpion,its a hand held Ballista dating from around 100AD,i cant get the pics to upload the files are too big but if you Google it you'll see it looks like a Crossbow.
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 09:13:40 pm »
Look forward to seeing that Dane ...it sounds like a serious piece of kit. What a cute dog!

Simon, thanks! Davenport is a wonderful companion. I've never had a more loyal or affectiont dog.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 09:15:45 pm »
Scropians were the smallest seige engines an army would field, especially the Imperial Roman legios.

The Manuballista is smaller than the Scorpion,its a hand held Ballista dating from around 100AD,i cant get the pics to upload the files are too big but if you Google it you'll see it looks like a Crossbow.

Is that the gastraphetes? It does like a bit like a crossbow, and is called in English belly shooter. That is something I want to also build some day. It uses a composite bow attached to a slider assembly, like later scorpions and ballistas. The shooters weight draws back the string.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »
Loki, I just googled it. Wow, what a neat toy! Looks like one of those is in my future, as well!

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 09:29:12 pm »
Nice isnt it?a snipers weapon  :D.
Picture of a bloke on this page who keeps his bolts in his hat  ;D.
http://198.144.2.125/Siege/Aitor/Cheroballistra.htm
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »
Indeed, and that is a great site.

All these arrow and bolt throwing machines (and bows are machines, too) are great fun. I'm a member of Legio III Cyrenaica, a Roman living history group in Massachusetts. Having on the kit also adds to understanding these kinds of weapons. I was playing with my fustibalus (staff sling) while in kit, and the gladrius bounced all over the place, leaving me to explore how a sword would have been kept in control in that sort of situation. Each question leads to more questions, as always. :)

Offline Loki

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2007, 09:54:44 pm »
I'm a bit of a Roman History buff too  ;D,i used to play Spartacus on Hadrians wall when i was a kid and i've been hooked ever since  ;D.
I was wondering if you had any info on Cohors I Hamiorum Sagittariorum,the Syrian Bowmen stationed at Magnis fort (Hadrians wall)in the second century? i'm interested in there equipment (Bows).
Thanks
Andy
Durham,England

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2007, 10:03:32 pm »
   One of the finest period crossbow reprodutions I've seen is one Jaro posted a few years ago.Maybe he'll post it again.It was a work of art.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 09:42:30 am »
Pretty cool stuff here,but Pat is right ,crossbows in our bow season left a bad taste,
but I guess it ant much different than modern Muzzle loader,or modern compound
just ant my thing to each his own.I do have one I will post that an uncle brought back from
Nam in 66 and has a Bamboo quiver with 6 bolts fletched with Bamboo leaf it is pretty cool and real primitive,he said they didn't shoot real accurate but they would dip the arrows in human wast and just wanted to hit you somewhere and it would put you out for a long while.I guess all in fair in Love and war. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Minuteman

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
Heres a link to one for some of you auto-loader fans!

http://www.atarn.org/chinese/rept_xbow.htm

I've had an urge to own one since I was a kid. I used to have two but gave one to a buddy so he could shoot chicken house raiding coons after dark without waking up his neighbors.They are cool but like has been said They aren't the same as bows. That being said, I think the home made jobs are cool!