Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 23352 times)

Bikewer

Crossbows?
« on: June 01, 2007, 10:39:11 pm »
Anybody ever make one?

I have always wanted to build one, ever since childhood.  Just never got around to it.  Now that I'm a big, successful bower (Ok...two.)
I thought I might give it a try.
What are the problems with a short wooden bow?   I imagine tillering could be tricky.   Also having one let go in close proximity to your face seems slightly hazardous....A good stout backing, perhaps?j

I know, it'd be easier to just buy a commercial steel or aluminum prod, but I like the process, as we artsy types say.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:48:28 pm »
Not to be rude, ...but do we have to talk crossbows here?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:09:26 pm »
       with Manny Padroni (northsore longbow)on this one...................bob

jcougar

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:42:51 am »
Just for the sake of argument, there have been crossbows posted here before, and no one seemed to have a problem with it then.

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:03:33 am »
I have made several with a simple short bow made from hickory. They are as fun to make and build as any primitive weapon or wood bow. The bow is actually simple because even though it is short it does not have to bend near as far as longbows etc. When I was in the Navy we saw allot of them in the Jungles made form bamboo. If you like wood bows and building them I woud suggest you give one a try. they are fun fun fun. Dont see why anyone would have a problem discussing it here. Hope not anyways. there is allot of info to glean from a discusion about crossbows. One item that has allot to do with bows was a serious issue from crossbows: It was the idea of how far a prod or longbow can bend VS the materials used. this has always been a point of good healthy discussion and that is draw length vs bow length vs stored energy and on and on. Good subject. They are a simple blast.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:36:39 am »
I made one about 5 years ago, I used a jatoba board for the prod, about 130# 28" long drawing 14', shot very well, I broke the prod last year and built another from ipe bamboo, about 150#, also shot very well but prod broke after only a few succesful shots. I did have some problems with acuracacy probably due to my design. Steve

Far East Archer

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:59:17 am »
Ive made two so far and both were not as good as I expected. 1. because the highest weight I made them was 65# which is rather low for a crossbow and 2. My prod was not so well designed after seeing some medieval and asian types.

Badger, did you make your tips ultra tiny causing it to break or was it just the poundage?

BTW, If made right these things can be mega powerful!! Have fun.

-Alex

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 07:13:41 am »
I've made one as well, or more precise in the process of making one. As far as I'm concerned. If it conforms to the primitive idea then it's ok on this board.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

a finnish native

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 09:12:15 am »
crossbows have been used for war and for hunting for almost a thousand years or more, so why shouldn't they be discussed? this is a forum for primitive archery, not for wooden bow crafting only. Broaden your horizons people!

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 09:37:41 am »
I too don't see why crossbows can't be discussed. Primitive as any other kind of bow, in my mind. As a matter of fact, I'm building an arrow firiing catapulta (scorpio) right now, and will post some shots later when I feel ready.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jcougar

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 01:13:05 pm »
Here's one with an oak stock or tiller, simple notchlock(which is my favorite type), and a spring steel prod.  The draw weight is ~130-140#.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/jcougar/Crossbow003.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/jcougar/Crossbow002.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/jcougar/Crossbow001.jpg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 02:20:36 pm »
I think a lot of folks have a bad taste in their mouths regarding crossbows because of the popularity of the modern crossbows that are being marketed today.
    I have no problem with primitive crossbows. This is one I bought at a flee market almost 30 years ago. The wood looks like a mahogany of some sort, the string is twisted plant fibers and the darts(I'm not sure these actually go with this crossbow) are bamboo splits with folded bamboo leaf fletching.The trigger is a simple contraption and as you can see, this is the take-down model. ;D I'm guessing it is from The Philippians.  I have never shot this crossbow and never will. It is part of my collection.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

SteveO

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 02:24:07 pm »
 Here's one I made, mainly for when the grandkids visit. I don't know what the draw weight is but it's enough to punch a hole in masonite siding, discovered by my eldest grandson within the first few minutes of use.

The bow is osage. The rest if it is just various scrap wood and metal I had laying around. Since I have a forge, I can make the metal parts without much trouble if I need some particular shape.

The mechanism to hold the string at full cock is a brass cylinder cut out  so that drawing the string back rotates the cylinder to the full cock notch where it's caught by the trigger.

I share in the general prejudice against crossbows only as far as the inclusion of them in the regular archery season goes. Other than that, I think they are very interesting, if for no other reason than their prolific historic presence. I'd probably like them anyway since I seem to have a fascination with anything that projects, shoots, throws or casts any kind of projectile at all, from elderberry  popguns to naval cannon.

Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 03:33:23 pm »
Some interesting weapons.  Maybe this should be on the warbow thread.  ;D Pat how about a couple more pictures of the firing mechanism.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 04:01:17 pm »
Here you go, Justin. This trigger is a loose fit, no pivot point. The string goes behind the small block on top...when the trigger is pulled, the string slides off the top of this small block and the dart is gone.    Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC