Author Topic: Splitting for the most  (Read 8617 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Splitting for the most
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »
That's some good splitting. Awesome thread. This is going to help a lot of people.

Offline John K

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »
Real nice haul there Tim !

I'd get rid of the mushroom top on your wedge, those things can come off and do some serious damage to an eye, don't want to see you gettin hurt  ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:18:33 am »
Perfect timing with the short tutorial and pics...I hope I can better maximize the Osage I just hauled.  Thanks for sharing.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Timo

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:29 am »
Acutus, I think your question was answered ok? As for the bark on, I leave it on until I can get some more time to remove it and the sapwood,then seal it REALLY WELL. As for the wood drying, all the moisture leaves through the belly and sides.

John K, I need to relieve all my wedges of their shrooms,they have been getting a work out lately. ;)

RIck Wallace, I never thought about Det cord! Not sure how well that might work? :-\

Wood this good doesn't come along very often,as far as straight,clear and with decent rings. The cutter where I got this one told me that he had several more to get out that he knew I would be interested in. It's just to dang muddy around here to get them out.

Offline Acutus

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 12:43:57 am »
Yes think I got it now! thanks Hatch and Timo!! ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:32 am »
Very nice looking wood!  I've personally never seen osage that large anywhere near that perfectly straight or without some gnarliness in the center.  I try to split the big ones like that, but mine sure aren't that straight and it doesn't often work out quite that well.  You are very fortunate to find such a perfect (and good natured) piece of wood and your splitting was as good as it gets.  I'd say your plan came together nicely.  I agree, this will help a lot of people.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 02:19:05 am »
Nice haul, Tim and well executed. You got all you could from that log.  Whe did you do with that center core?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Caius

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 02:26:49 am »
Wanna share your copious bounty with the less fortunate??? O:)
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"
Edmonton, AB

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 02:27:14 am »
thats a great job on splitting all so...and what i know about Osage..it looks like some premium bow wood..john

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:50 am »
Thanks for sharing that. Good pictures and descriptions like that are a huge help. That is some yield. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
Something I have learned in my years of working Osage, is that the better woods will almost always have a center core that is  Straight,with few small limbs. Now that kinda is a no brainer, but some trees will put on limbs later in life, due to certain things that happen to them throughout their growing cycle.

Of those really good trees, I have found that the VERY GOOD ONES center core will be dead! It is an odd thing really,but makes perfect sense as those small limbs quite growing outward and die back, allowing them to be swallowed up by good straight wood.

I haven't figured out how to replicate this process yet, but I do my part by trimming small trees of their early limbs, when they are small, letting them become encased by good outer wood growth, oh,,,,, someone is going to be very thankful for me someday as there are several nice young trees on my farm that I have been pruning for a few years now.

Pat, the core on this tree was dead, and of no use.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 11:04:54 am »
Awesome job and pictures. Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:49 am »
Timo, that was really well done. You are setting a great example for the newcomers to selfbowyery by using a wedge w/o using a circular saw, which is intended for dimension lumber. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:48 pm »
excellent

Stringman

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »
This process is sooo much more fun to watch than actually do! I got a few hedge trees around the house that I got picked out. One is near 60' tall clean limbed and asking to be turned into bow wood. Might try to get out this next week and figure how to lay her down. I do like the methodical way you went about splittin that log of yours open. Nice work Tim!