Author Topic: glue  (Read 1089 times)

Offline butch

glue
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »
will titebond 3 work on antler to oak. do i leave it sanded smooth or rough it up. never done this and need any advise on tips and grip. thanks    butch ???

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
I don't thin TB III will work well on antler. Super Glue Gel should work well for you on the tips and the handle as long as they don't bend.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:44 pm »
Assuming your grip is wood and your bow doesn't bend through the handle, TTB3 will work for the grip. Both of the surfaces need to be smooth and not toothed. As for the tips I use 2 part epoxy from wally world to apply tips that are not wood. i usually get the 2 ton epoxy. I rough up the surfaces some with 60 grit sand paper so the glue has a good gripping surface.  I hope this helps.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline butch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »
thanks guys.. the grip i hope to use the first curve of an antler.. the grip is 1,5 wide like the limbs but almost 2 thick. itink it wont bend with minor shapeing but this 69 incher is pulling70 at 27. it might be to strong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:33:49 am »
I've used TBIII on antler overlays with good results. TBIII likes a smooth, well mated joint. It doesn't have gap filling properties.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC