Author Topic: bow length vs draw length  (Read 11478 times)

Offline Carle1953

bow length vs draw length
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:23 am »
How short of a bow could you make out of Osage for a draw length of 30 inches?  At what point does it become necessary to sinew back?  My bow is 55" n-t-n, 1 1/16 wide at the fades on out to 6" from the tips. I have the bow drawing 45 lbs @ 23" without sinew backing at this time.  Any opinions on how much further I can go? I have a bendy handle with elliptical tiller and flipped tips. I really don't want to take it to the breaking point to satisfy my curiousity, so any help is appreciated.

Offline juniper junkie

Re: bow length vs draw length
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:03 am »
I would be scared to go that long of draw with the length. you are over 50% of length for the draw. but I am kinda chicken when it comes to bows breaking on me ;D bending in the handle is going to help. curious to see what the osage experts say. how about some pics at the draw you have it at now?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:28 am »
I'm not much of an expert, but I would probably keep an unbacked osage bow I wanted to go 30" in the 62" or longer range.  If it bends some through the handle, maybe closer to 60" but the tiller would have to be done well to avoid set.  I have a very short bow that pushes past those limits but it really isn't much fun to shoot...lots of stack.   Takes some real skill and a good design to do it right and so far I don't have it what it takes.

Good luck,

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:36 am »
Under ideal circumstances two times the draw length. That's perfect wood and perfect tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:00 am »
I wouldn't  go that far but I think that'll could push it a little farther.. I have a red oak shorty that's only 47" long that draws 23" and 55#. It was made from a board an is unbacked, so I figure that your Osage could pull at least 25-26"... Probably more.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:58 pm »
I'd say with good tillering you can do it.

Hell half eye makes plenty of white wood shorties 48" drawing 26"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:32 pm »
Enjoy your bow as is. You got the max. already. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »
Draw = half the length of the bow is more than enough for most of us, and that's with a bending or V minimalist grip.
Of course you can get more but you'll likely end up with it stacking due as the limbs will be coming back almost parallell to eachother, and you'll be getting pinchy fingers too.
Just 'cos you can do it, doesn't necessarilly make it a good idea...I daresay you could milk a Lioness ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I seem to be having problems with posting pictures. My files seem to be to large.

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »
I have tried to crop my pictures and they are still too large.  Help, anyone got any ideas?  Thanks

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
twice the draw length + 10%, get you're pics on photobucket and they are automatically sized to post, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:21 am »
Thanks everyone.  If I use the twice the draw length + 10% I end up with a max of 25" on a 55" bow.  I am now at 45 lbs @ 24".  So in theory I should be able to go at least to 25" draw.  I got the pictures in photobucket, now if I can figure out how to get them here.  Thanks again.  I guess the yellow dust has gotten to me because for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the link from photobucket onto this post.

Offline Acutus

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:45 am »
Carle, Once they are on photobucket hover over the pic you want to post look for the IMG tag click on it it'll copy then you just paste into your post. Hope that helps.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:26:46 am »
click on the pics that you want to post,then go to bottom of the page and click on actions, then generate link codes, then click on full size bullien boards and forums. Took me forever to get this right, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:27:47 am »
     At 1 1/16 at 30 you'll differntly over stress your limbs if it don't break first, you'll diffently end up with lots of string follow if it dose hold together. At 1 1/2"s you may make it but do'nt at 1 1/16. Even if you sinew it your boarder line at 30"s.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING