Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Newbie questions
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:48:30 pm »
Hi i'm new to primitive archery and bow making in general. I signed up yesterday after looking at the sight as a guest for buot an hour.

Some questions:
Would this be good for a bow board for someone with a full draw of 29"? What do people mean when they put something like 50# I'm guessing its the amount of force you need to pull back
How do i tiller my bow?
I've seen tilling rigs, is there a site were i can find out how to make and use one?

Any answers would be appreciated greatly.

P.S. I can't be on during week days because of my grades seeing to I'm 15 and my dad doesn't want me getting Cs on my report card
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:51:36 am by Pat B »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Acutus

Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
Welcome!!! Just joined a couple days ago myself!! ;D YOu have a 29"draw and you're 15! You must be a very long limbed 15 yr old. :o

I'll let the experts answer your questions but just wanted to say "HI!"

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:12:30 pm »
welcome to the addiction, if ya go to the how-to's build-a-long's go to jawge's site and that's got all ya want to know about board bows, that's about all I build and they shoot great, good luck, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/        this is george's site. plus all the buildalongs in the "how to" section. and be sure to go to all of the older posts, I have read quite alot of them and learned quite a bit. most of the time someone has asked what you want to know.  btw welcome and happy building.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:49 pm »
You are right about 50# (# = lbs) thing, for example 50# @ 28 means the bow is resisting with 50 lbs of force when drawn to 28 inches. 

Tillering in the most simple terms means scraping wood off the parts of the bow limbs that are not bending enough.  That can refer to flat spots in the middle of a limb or to scraping the whole length of one limb so that it weakens enough to match the other limb. 

Someone posted the link to George Tsoukala's website.  George has a genius for describing the most difficult process in terms even knuckleheads like me can understand.  When you have free time online on your weekends (and you bloody well better have your homework done first) I would really recommend you read thru a bunch of stuff on his site.  It's got plenty to get you started. 

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:44 am »
Hey welcome... I'm fifteen too and if I can do this so can you... I would recommend george's site And the entire traditional bowyer bible series for some great starter information...

I make most of my bows out of boards, but I spend at least an hour at lowes or home depot or a store like it to find a perfect board. The grain lines have to be good... Good luck and jump right in.

Oh yeah a simple tillering tree can be made of a 2x4 with some slots cut into it with a bandsaw... Takes about twenty minutes and if you keep building bows u can build something nicer later.

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:03 am »
Try to get a copy of the Traditional Bowers Bible # 1. Welcome aand good luck.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:08 am »
Bitterguy, I have deleted the link you posted. It is against the rules to post a link to any site that doesn't sponsor PA .
  Welcome to PA. There is lots of good info here. Check out George's site That Erictheviking popsted. Lots of good info to get you started and help you all the way to finish. In the mean time ask all the questions you have and someone will give you the answer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Aparntly either the proxies are down or for some reason this site isn't blocked at my school.
Were can I get this traditional bowyer bible series.

And as to my draw, I am very limber I'm 15, 6', and wiegh ~170lbs
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »
I found them at books a million. If you cant find them there, you can order them online.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »
I ordered it from Barnes and noble and it should be here either Friday or Monday.
Were could i get some good cheap staves at for making a bow?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Acutus

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »
Bitterguy I've been using boards bought from Home Depot. Here they have Red Oak. You have to go through a lot of boards to find one with good grain and all but I think the last board cost me $9.00 and that was a 3inch wide board the 1.5 or 2 inch boards are cheaper.