Author Topic: Elusive sheds & an Osage run...  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Elusive sheds & an Osage run...
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:30:30 pm »
Went for a "woods walk" in search of sheds and some Red Osier arrow shafts.  We combed some pretty great looking bedding areas and there was deer sign everywhere but not a single shed to be found.

We did get a wonderful treat though with 5 Woodcock flushed at 5'-10'.  My 11 year old son about filled his trousers when the first one flushed   ;D  It was great to see such healthy birds up close.  I imagine they are doing their sky dance at dusk as they sort out the mating thing.

Here is a pic of a really cool tree we ran across...

This morning I got up bright and early for a solo mission on cutting and hauling some free Osage.  I was out there cutting, splitting and dragging a few of the splits until just a little while ago.  Sure could have used an Osage Buddy to help with the task.  I am totally whipped and only managed to come home with 2 of the 12 splits.  I simply ran out of go-juice so I sealed the 10 remaining splits and hopefully I can be out there again tomorrow after work to get the remaining splits.

This was a very nice tree, straight with a 18" diameter trunk.  I cut up the trunk in three 74" sections and then got to the splitting.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the Osage.  I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow and snap some of this Osage tree line...probably 150 yards of the stuff but most is fairly twisted.

Thanks~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Elusive sheds & an Osage run...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
Nice haul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »
looks like  good weekend. should get some fine bows out of those.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:53:10 pm »
Much work.....Looks good though and will yeild you several nice ones looks like?

I know what you mean as the running low on juice. I cut 4 logs last week and just got them quartered.One of which is the best log I have ever got. I'll post some pics later when the work is done.

Snowing here again.  :(

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
Thanks guys...I look forward to chasing LOTS of ring in the future.

Timo, this was by far my biggest log to date but there were some MUCH bigger ones in that Hedge row.  Snowing again?  Where are you located?  SW Lower MI on this end and we finally lost our last of the hidden piles that were kept longer sitting in the shady areas.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:02:10 pm »
HOLY COW,do you want to share a stick..LOL..dang that is a big tree...i really wish i lived back east some times just for this reason...thanks for sharing... john

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:04:10 pm »
HOLY COW,do you want to share a stick..LOL..dang that is a big tree...i really wish i lived back east some times just for this reason...thanks for sharing... john

Got any Yew you wanna swap?   ;D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:37 pm »
Lee, I am in Missouri, Lots of Osage..... and snow this year. :'(

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »
Well, headed back out to the Osage row to drag the rest of the splits back to the truck...I was blessed to have my wife & two boys offer to help out.  It was still more work than they could handle but it was nice to have the company.

Here are some family shots and a few pics of the haul, safe, sound and in the garage until I rest up to split them up and remove the bark.

Enjoy~

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:46:56 pm »
All I can say is: Man you are lucky!!! I wish I had that much Osage around here!  Good haul!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:23 am »
Bill, I meant to snap a pic of the Tree line this came from...it was all solid Osage for close to 200 yards.  Most are twisted or have the "barber pole" bark run (which I've come to learn means twisted and unusable grain) but there is still many more straight, huge trunked trees waiting for me when I use this supply up.  My wife asked if this haul would possibly be a "lifetime" supply?  I just grinned...  O:)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:11 am »
  :o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D.......
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:07:16 am »
All I can say is: Man you are lucky! You have a wife that's helps ya?  ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:19 am »
Nice post.
Give those lads a few more years and they can do all the heavy work ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »
Cowboy, I think she was worried I'd wreck my back again and end up on the couch bugging her all day  ;D  But in all seriousness, she had always supported my crazy off the wall hobbies and passions.  Heck, being a Falconer, she even puts up with me keeping 2 falcons in the living room  >:D

Del, the boys are raring to go on the bow thing...they REALLY want one for shooting this spring so as soon as my Trade Bow is completed I intend to get a decent Osage bow into each of their hands and then I'll work on one for me by fall for chasing White-tails.

Thanks again~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold