Author Topic: tree ID (Pics of leaves added) ACTUAL ANSWER!!!  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Kountry83

Re: tree ID (Pics of leaves added)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:58 am »
Its probably this : Salix orestera is a species of willow known by the common name Sierra willow, or gray-leafed Sierra willow. It is native to the Sierra Nevada of California and western Nevada, where it grows in moist areas in high mountain subalpine and alpine climates. It can also be found in Oregon

Hope that helps  ;D

Offline Acutus

Re: tree ID (Pics of leaves added)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »
sierra willow is more of a tree

Oops got distracted as I was posting this I meant more of a shrub not a tree. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:52:42 pm by Acutus »

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: tree ID (Pics of leaves added) ACTUAL ANSWER!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:10 pm »
Wow, well I spoke with the landscaping company that put it in when we first moved into the house. The tree is AFRICAN SUMAC. Geez, they really go far and wide to find trees that will survive here in the desert. I have no idea if this is any kind of derivitive of willow or pepper tree but at least we have an answer. It seems REALLY hard to split/cut but that doesn't necessarily mean its any good for bow wood. Still, I'm cutting that one trunk down and as I don't like to waste wood an attempt will be made. Let you know my progress. - Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:01 pm »
Mike, did they give you a botanical name. Common names are not reliable for ID purposes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Acutus

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »
Guess that's why my books never showed it! LOL I agree with Pat though. A scientific name would allow you to find out more about it.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »
Rhus lancea is the botanical name. It seems to match the Google pics I can find. I never thought it would be a sumac species, so it surprises me!

The wood is hard, tough and durable with a reddish brown colour, close grained and heavy (air-dry 1040kg/m3)
Sounds good ;)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:38 pm »
Just looked up the scientific name and found that Darksoul beat me to it  ;D. Also found out it is a relative (or in the same tree species group) as Cashew. Things might be looking up for bow making.