Author Topic: Lets talk Glock  (Read 9360 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Lets talk Glock
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »
Hi Boys,
so I just got me this Glock 19 and I'm really hating the trigger, I've being starting to look around for aftermarket parts, but I figure I checked with you guys since there's quite a few handguns experts here  ;D .

......any suggestions/tips are much apreciated

Thanks in advance

M
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Lets talk Glock
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:47 am »
Take the trigger out and file it with diamond files and buff the crap out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:25 am »
Scott i have a friend in Arizona (federal officer) that did almost that it took his left ....um you know and made scrambled eggs out of it and came out the back of his leg. all with his glock

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:08:16 am »
holster it where ever you want to carry and dont pull it unless you want to shoot....thats what that gun is made for.

You can get aftermarket parts....theyre called Ruger ;D

I used to carry a Glock 27.....now conceal carry a Ruger SR9C

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:50:56 am »
Fellers unless you are trying to hit a flying knats ass a Glock is as good as it gets. The safety system works and is a simple mechanical masterpiece. Carry any pistol in a pocket and getting it out quick can endanger your..er...short bow.

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:06:33 am »
I like the Glock.  I think it's a fine weapon but prefer the 1911.  I don't know what kind of aftermarket stuff can be done to smooth out the trigger though.

I can say I don't mind the lack of a safety on the Glock but I do mind the requirement to pull the trigger to disassemble the weapon.  My only negligent discharge (There are no "accidental" discharges) was with a Glock.  I had just finished qualifing with my new 1911.  I went home to clean my department issued Glock 21 prior to returning it to the department.  I removed the magazine and then received a phone call.  After getting off the phone I went back to break down the weapon and forgot that I hadn't cleared the chamber.  Well...if you know Glocks...you know what happened :-[ :-[ :-[  The good thing was that I was at least observing all other gun safety rules and didn't shoot myself or anyone else.  What scares me is when I watch people put the meat of their palm over the barrel to slide it back the little bit to break it down.  If I had done that I'd probably be missing a hand.  I'm embarrased and ashamed that it happened but if me telling it reminds someone else to always clear the chamber then it was worth it.
Nate Danforth

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:43 am »
Was half through posting and screen went blank. Where did it go?
Guys, unless you are shooting at a gnats ass a Glock is as good as it gets. Put any semi in a pocket and pulling it out quick can endanger your prized possessions. The Glock safety is a mechanical marvel and if you release it your finger has to be on the trigger which means you are ready to fire, correct?  If not  then you need remedial gun handling classes nor a different firearm.

Glock triggers come factory in 5lb, 8 lb, and the New York 12 lb pull. Any of these can be purchased aftermarket as well as a 3.5 lb pull. The trigger transfer bar, as the part is called, is simple to install and requires only a 3/32 punch. But then the whole gun can be completely disassembled with that same punch.

The tolerances on a Glock are so sloppy that it will function under almost any conditions but like any semi it runs better oiled and greased. Lone Wolf carries tons of aftermarket parts and the one I reccomend as a first purchase is The Glock Armourers Manual.

The Mod. 19 is a sweet carry gun. But I like the Mod. 21 for everyday use. Love them .45's. I see where my first attempt at this post went . Sorry, guess i pulled the trigger accidentally. ;D

Lane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:33:21 am »
For you guys with big hands and puny bullets, the Glock is fine.  But for my money, I want fewer rounds, better control, and stopping power.  And for me, that means a 1911 platform in .45 acp.  I understand how politics and "feel-good" law enforcement policies push for 9mm hardball, but I want a big ol' softnose .45 giving the attacker the express elevator to brimstone city.  A retired States Attorney told me when it comes to a self defense case they want to hear one person's story and that's all.  I'd like to be the guy telling the story.

NTD, I'm sorry you had that incident, pray to God it never happens again.  But you make a valid point, there are NO accidents, they are negligences.  

Good luck with your Glock, Manny.  If you can't fix it, show the baddies your bows.  While their eyeballs are drying out and their jaws are lying on the pavement in stunned amazement, get out one of your air rifles and pop 'em!  Works on pigs and peacocks, right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:35:36 am »
In theory something other than your finger could cause it to discharge.  There is a small lever in the middle of the trigger that has to be depressed for the trigger to be able to be pulled.  If the gun was carried appropriately in a holster I don't see anything catching and pulling the trigger. 
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:38:12 am »
Thanks JW.  Suffice to say I'm OCD about checking the chamber now...
Nate Danforth

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:09 am »
     I am not a Glock Fan.  Just don't like the appearance, and feel.  My GirlFriend is a State Arson Detective.  When she was going through the Police Academy, I gave her a four inch model 19 S&W.  Wish I hadn't but I did.  I miss that gun.  I have a six inch 19, but really liked the four inch one also.  Anywho, she really wanted an automatic, cause that was what most of the other detectives carried.  She really liked the Glock.  Ok.  I went to the gun show, and found a really nice Glock model 19 in 9mm, with after market sights.  I didn't care for the feel or the look of it.  It shot fine, just not comfortable with it.  So I gave it to her.  A month later they issue her a Sig 228. ::)  She also has an Astra A70L in 9mm which she really loves.  She always qualifies well with it.  I like it also, I had to buy her one, since I made the mistake of showing it to her, and letting her shoot it.  It is double action auto, so you can carry a round in it, with the hammer down.  She doesn't like the 1911 because it is not double action.  I tried to explain it to her that I can cock it on the draw, and not be any slower than a double action.  Anyway, she has a lot of my guns now.  She bought a .45 Glock compact, which she really likes, and then they issued her a .40 cal Glock. ::)  I have a Friend who has one and loves it.  I have shot it and it shoots very well.  Just don't like the look and feel.  I will take the 1911.  I have a few. ;)  I have the little Ruger lcp in .380, it is double action only.  It has a loooong trigger pull.  Once you get used to that it shoots pretty well for a pocket gun, and like the Astra, you don't have to worry about shooting your identifying items of sex off.  I just have never been a Glock Fan.  Oh, and the Fobus holsters are crap also.  She has gone through three of them.  The little rivets they use to assemble it, are too small, and need a washer under them.  Kydex holsters can be twisted off, by an attacker.  It is not difficult.  There is a You Tube video on that.  There should be after market parts for your Glock in the Brownells catalog.  I don't know if there is an after market trigger for the Glock since that is your safety.  You can Google them, and go on their e-catalog, and look them up.  I have some little pocket pistols, like an Astra .25, the same model of the colt.  In fact Astra made the little pocket Colt, for Colt.  I also have a little Italian Galesi in .25 also.  Never carried either of them with one in the chamber.  Juuuuuust don't trust them that close the jewelry box. ::)  When I do Carry it is usually a .45, 9mm, .380, or at least a little .32 derringer.  I consider it a distractant, so I can get to another local. :D  A lot of people love the Glock, I don't.  Just my personal opinion.  As for Police officers shooting themselves, I had a H&K P7 with the squeeze grip safety.  The NJ PD bought them, and a little while later turned them all in and bought I think S&W's.  Seems too many officers were either shooting themselves, or discharging when not ready.  It takes a little getting used to, but a nice little gun.  I sold mine to a Friend's Son, who just had to have it.  Like I said check out Brownells, they should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.  Be careful you don't void the warranty by changing parts. ;)  You either like Glocks, or you don't . ;)  If you like em, enjoy! ;D

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:16 am »

Scott there are numerous concealed holsters, for carrying concealed with minimal clothing.  There are thunder wear, pouch type holsters, and copy cats, and there are simple holsters that will fit a variety of guns, up to a .50 Desert Eagle !  It is just a two sided deal, about three to four inches tall, by about four to five inches wide, with a clip on it.  You can carry it inside your waist, with the clip on the pants waist tip, or belt.  You can carry it in a number of configurations.  Like I said there are a LOT of various concealed carry holsters out there.  There is a new one that is an improvement on the Pager type holster, that had a clip with a fake pager on it, and the holster fit inside the pants, well now they have one with a cell phone type clip, and you can use your own cell phone holster to attach to it.  Just look for concealed holsters, and if you can, go to a Gun Show, and look at and try different styles out, and see which one you like for your particular situation. ;)

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:19:16 am »
here's a soft in the pants holster

Nate Danforth

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:44 am »
Gotta say I'm not a big fan of the looks and feel of the Glock either, much prefer the grip and look of the 1911 for sure,

I found an aftermarket trigger drop in assembly, looks prety good, alluminum trigger instead of plastic, shorter pull and can shave a good 4 # of the stock trigger, .............did I mention I hate the trigger  ? ;D ;D ...got soooo spoild by the light crisp triggers on my airguns  ;)

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/7_Custom+Parts+%26amp%3B+Accessories/7520_Complete+Fulcrum+Trigger+Kit/?mode=image
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Grunt

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:24 am »
I've got a Glock 23 in .40 cal. It's ugly, blocky, but I can hit anything I shoot at with it. I do have XL hands that I can wrap around the big grip. My S&W M&P .40 compact fits my hand better but I am more consistant with the Glock. I usually carry a Taurus .380 with a crimson trace laser set up in a little blackhawk inside the waist holster but when I carry my larger pieces I use a Belly Band. The Belly Band is basicly designed like one of those back support belts but it has two leather holsters sewed in. It goes above the waist and you can drape a t-shirt over it. Belly Band is from Cabelas.