Author Topic: question on storing rock (Obsidian)  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
question on storing rock (Obsidian)
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:27:21 pm »
I recently got back from the Glass Buttes with a large amount of Obsidian and noticed the rock that was on the surface was very crumbly and didnt knap very well (probably just me ;D). After asking a more experianced knapper about this he said the surface rock was heated up by the sun and isnt as good for knapping so I dug the resty of the rock I got from in the ground. My question is, Is there a cirtian way I need to store it other than just keeping it covered with a tarp or something? Or do I even need to worry about it? Sorry for the stupid question but I just want to make sure I dont mess up my rock if it's even possible ;D ??? Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: question on storing rock (Obsidian)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:02 pm »
I would be glad to store it for you!! >:D

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:28 pm »
I bet you would ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »
I recently got back from the Glass Buttes with a large amount of Obsidian and noticed the rock that was on the surface was very crumbly and didnt knap very well (probably just me ;D). After asking a more experianced knapper about this he said the surface rock was heated up by the sun and isnt as good for knapping so I dug the resty of the rock I got from in the ground. My question is, Is there a cirtian way I need to store it other than just keeping it covered with a tarp or something? Or do I even need to worry about it? Sorry for the stupid question but I just want to make sure I dont mess up my rock if it's even possible ;D ??? Thanks

Josh

Unless it was 10+ feet deep....chances are that too was exposed to the sun XX amount of years ago, depending on how long it takes soil to form there ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:16:11 pm »
Most of it was around 4 to 6 ft deep some around 8ft but I agree your probably right ;D

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:16:57 pm »
ALSO....could be some of the outer edge has frost fractures in it and the deep ones have had a chance to weather the frost fracturing off? hellifino

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:13 pm »
Ill buy that good theory ???

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:28:59 pm »
I wouldnt spend much on it...that's just speculation from somebody that dont know nuthin about obsidian except I dont like it ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »
 ;D

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:26 pm »
I just keep mine under the stairs in my shop out of the way.  That way is doesnt get wet and frozen.  I dont think the sun has  alot to do with the rock as much as water and the freeze thaw cycle.  If the sun affected the stuff, all of it on the surface would be gravel, in my opinion, and I picked up some like 10 lb boulders that seem to be fine.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »
k thanks Tell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:19:22 pm »
I keep my rock piled up in the yard or in five gallon buckets. Freeze/thaw and weathering will eventually get to rock, but it's more like a process of hundreds or thousands of years of exposure that gets it. Don't think I'm gonna keep any that long. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:25:54 pm »
Yep, I'm like Hillbilly. Have had rocks piled up around here for years and have not noticed any ill affects from weathering. But not like it gets real cold in this part of the world. I'm leaning more towards the eons of hot, cold, hot, cold. and i don't suspect I''ll be around that long ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »
K thanks guys

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
if you live in a climate like here in minnesota
then you dont want to store it above ground outdoors in the winter time
any moisture in the rock will freeze and casie it to fracture
all my rock is inside,cause thats where i knapp in the winter
wouldnt be able to find it under the 9" of fresh snow we just got  >:(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd