Author Topic: Repair splinter on BBO at a node?  (Read 3721 times)

mallard

Repair splinter on BBO at a node?
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:06:40 am »
I was working on a bamboo backed osage bowblank and either got a bad piece of boo or took it down too much at a node.  Prolly trying to shoot it too soon.... got a hinge, worked it out but pesky splinter scares me.  I superglued it but don't think it will hold.  Thinking to back entire bow with silk and wonder if tightbond II is good or what?  Only thing I've seen suggested was superglue.  Be a lot of superglue to my mind. ($) Suggestions please?  mallard

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Repair splinter on BBO at a node?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:15:23 am »
Super glue is usually used if you wrap the splinter with silk thread. A simple silk wrap will work great.  Wrapping it with sinew is probably the best idea, just not super pretty.  If you are backing the entire bow, Tightbond II will work great.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:49 am »
Tightly wrap the area that splintered with serving or silk and saturate with superglue. If the splinter is not too bad that should hold it down.
Gordon

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:16 am »
I've had a couple of these splinters occur for absolutely no reason on untouched nodes under good tillering conditions.  I didn;t know about the crazy glue and thread wrap at the time and couldn't save them.  One, I decrowned the boo and backed with hickory and it worked well.

Dave