Author Topic: Looking for Solid Copper Flintknapping Billets  (Read 8165 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Looking for Solid Copper Flintknapping Billets
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:08:46 am »
Hey guys,  I am looking for some solid copper billets.  I want a larger one to spall out some large obsidian and also some smaller ones for working flint and such.  I have a few items to trade, like a couple staves, obsidian, a large boa skin about 8 feet, and some sinew.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Keenan

Re: Looking for Solid Copper Flintknapping Billets
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:29:28 am »
 Hey Tell, I know why your looking for the large copper billets,,,,,,,,You've been watching Emory bust up the big ones. ;D   Sorry we missed you guys out there, Had to tend to a friend in crisis hear on the home front.   
 As far as the copper billets I have them keeping an eye out for me down at the scrap yard. You might also check your local steel scrap yard. Often they get some in. And much better then buying new.
 Another trick that I found is to use a steel shaft for most of the weight and cap the end with a large copper end cap. I get one a little bigger then the shaft then melt in the lead around the shaft.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48:55 am »
You got it Keenan.  Wish we could have met up.  I have been looking around for quite some time.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:56 am »
ive got a solid copper booper. i forget how big it is, but its a smaller one.  im thinking its 5/8's..  i can measure it tomorrow, its at work.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:45 am »
Thats funny I was looking on line and calling around today trying to find one as well ;D I think im going to go with a 3" copper plumbing cap filled with lead unless I can find something else They make 4 inch caps but there a little spendy. Nice meeting you at the knap in man

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:04:03 am »
Josh

They are spendy.  the solid ones are even more.  Maybe go with steel and copper as Keenan said.  Nice meeting you too man.

tell
Tell Riley

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:39:13 am »
 Mark Bracken sells a large copper hammer for spalling. I think it's around $50.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:19 pm »
Yea Marks site at flintknappingtools.com has it all.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »
Thanks guys for the website.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:59 pm »
Wish ya would have posted sooner. Last week I gave 1.5" 1.25" &1/2" away to my brother. I had picked up a few extras at a Knap-in & didn't really need them.I think I packed them around for a couple years they got too heavy. Sorry.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:32:21 pm »
Tower,
 Thats to bad on my end.  Wish I could have got those.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:05 am »
Just back from our anual winter retreat in the SW.  I have gotten copper billets as large as 3" around in the past at the scrap yard.  I usually just pick them up for people and mail them out at cost plus the postage costs.  4 months ago scrap copper was going for around $3.50 a pound.  I can check for you if you like.  I also would like a couple of points for my travel time, LOL

Let me know if you or anyone needs help with this.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:24 am »
If you are wanting a big bopper then consider using a large Dogwood limb. Several folks use it on hard Rhyolite rock and it works well for spalling. I would think on Obsidian it would work even better. Shape a 2-3 inch Dogwood limb in the shape of a tapered bopper thats as long as you like...I think you'll like it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:38 am »
If you are wanting a big bopper then consider using a large Dogwood limb. Several folks use it on hard Rhyolite rock and it works well for spalling. I would think on Obsidian it would work even better. Shape a 2-3 inch Dogwood limb in the shape of a tapered bopper thats as long as you like...I think you'll like it.

Only problem with this idea is that arround here (West Nebraska), a dogwood limb would be harder to come by than copper. :)

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
Bevan I am with you.  It is hard to ind dogwood out here in Idaho.  May have it here just have never heard of it. 

Thanks for the info on it though.

Tell
Tell Riley