Author Topic: What else can you ask from a bowwood ?? (full draw pics)  (Read 23874 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

What else can you ask from a bowwood ?? (full draw pics)
« on: May 29, 2007, 05:51:19 pm »
This story starts 1 1/2 years ago when out of a trade for some staves i got from Richard Saffold a beautifull Bamboo backed Ipe ELB,
hunded it for a month and got a good critter with it, but It was a bit lite for my liking so I stopped shooting it.

this bow was already 5 years old when I got it , this weekend I decided to pike it and try get some poundage, originally the bow was 69 1'2"ntn and tillered to 31", I piked it to 63' ntn, didn't know if something bad was going to happen retillering with such a big pike.

left the midle 8" alone to stiffen the already bendy andle, than had to take quite a bit of wood of :o ...but made it

It come out at 73# @ 26", kept the same ammount of reflex it had 1/2" (amaizing)

..Well I'm definatly a big fan of IPE, really you can't ask more than this to a bowwood (forgot to mention, the bow is 1" wide at the handle)

...I think I'll be ordering some glue ups from Rich in the furure ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:42:44 pm by NorthShoreLB »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: What else can you ask from a bowwood ??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:45:07 pm »
  Glad it worked Manny.I've been reading everything you guy's write about Ipe.I've really been paying close attention to the width of the handles in everybodies post.I have a beautiful piece Kowechobee gave me and a nice strip of thin Bamboo.I'm waiting to pick up my new bandsaw this week.and when I do I'll be starting on one also.By the way,just for grins,does anybody know how it is supposed to be pronounced? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

bullcreekboy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:02:11 pm »
It is pronounced EPAY

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:28 pm »
Be carefull when working with this wood since the dust is toxic. Use a filter mask for sure!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:32:07 pm »
  Shannon,That's what I thought.Been hearing it called EYEP.Didn't want to sound like a DA when I was looking for it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:42:01 pm »
Manny, lets see some pictures.   ;D
It is pronounced EPAY, it is also known as Brazilian Walnut.  Minuteman brought me some to the Tennessee Classic. They are 1" wide pieces that were stickers between decking material while it was being shipped. He said it has a density that will cause it to sink to 23" in water, and suspend there. After the discussion on horn substitutes for a bow belly, I was thinking of trying Ipe for it.  ???  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:00:56 pm »
No pictures? Man law! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:23 pm »
Pictures, please!!!!
Gordon

Offline StanM

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:36:49 am »
Yes, Manny, pics!  I've got an ipe board sitting in the shop and a bunch of bamboo.  Other than being 1" wide at the handle and 64" can you give me any other specs?  How thick are the limbs at handle and tips?  How wide are the tips.  Oh heck, you gotta post some pics  ;D

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:06:32 am »
Sounds great,love to see it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:37:04 am »
IPE and Bamboo are a great combination, better than Osage and Bamboo. Osage just doesn't quiet have the compression strength to properly handle Bamboo. Brazilian Ironwood is another wood that handles bamboo quite well but it's a bit weaker in tension than IPE so you have to be careful reflexing the glue up.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
I heard it was supposed to be pronounced eepay, with a long e. I've got it wrong now? ???
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 10:59:24 am »
Sean, That is the way I always pronounced it, too!   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 02:39:46 pm »
Just like Ebay with a 'p'.  So simple. 

Around here it's also sold under the names:

Ironwood, Rinodeck, Brazilian mahogany, Sounth American mahogany, as well as about ten names I couldn't pronounce to save my life.

I could get clear 1x6 boards for $1.80 a foot a couple years ago.  My local lumber yards stopped carrying it. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 02:43:19 pm »
Be carefull getting it by any other name. I got some Brazilian Mahogany, it was not the same.  In fact it was TRASH.  Justin

Manny, we are still waiting for pictures of the bow;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah