Author Topic: My first tillering tree  (Read 4075 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
My first tillering tree
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »
Well here it is my first tree now before y'all go and say it's crooked look at the pics better the post it is mounted on is crooked not the tree now the bow I am tillering is a little lop sided  the lower limb is stiff but now that I have a tree it will be fixed :) ttyl

Sterling

Here is the board I cut it from

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline skyarrow

Re: My first tillering tree
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:40:20 pm »
Not to be critical, but isn't that going to pull one limb more than the other having the tree tilted like that (because your pulley at the bottom is not aligned with the center of the bow)?  You'd be better off having the rest tilted too, although that could add all kinds of confusion to eyeballing your tiller... if I was you I'd level out that post.  Just my two cents.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:26 pm »
Hard to see looking out into the light, but what I can see looks good to me Sterling.  That is pretty close to what I have done too.  Just be sure the handle is the only thing that touches the wood.  If the limbs  touch out at the ends of the support it might change the look of the tiller.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:54:26 pm »
The string is Centered I just looks off I checked lol the handle on this bow is set lowers the arrow will rest at the top of the handle instead of the center of  the handle and if you look where my pulley sits ther is a small block of wood to compensates for the center of the bow the other way also. I'm just making use of what I have :) I plan to make a better one for working stronger bows this one is for up to 40-50 # max
I havento start some were and this is what I have at this time :) thanx for the feed back

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:23:01 am »
That looks like my set up. The only thing I added was a board behind it. That has helped me see the profile of the bow more. Looks good! :)
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:01:20 am »
Nothing wrong with that,I like a full board behind mine but have a portable that works just like that.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:31:21 am »
   Theres 2 things that will help you out. 1 Is don't make the 4x4 that your bow rest on longer than your handle.4 Inchs for most bows I like mine alittle smaller 3 1/2. It's easer to center your bow thiis way. You need your bow to pivet some what to get center when tllering.
    2 It really helps to have a back ground. Get a peice of plywood and put it behind your tree. You can even make it detachable. That will just give you some referance points to see your limbs pulling evenly while tillering.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:46:19 am »
skyarrow, nice tree! You'll love it. I saw a HUGE improvement with the amount of set my bows were taking when I moved from my tillering stick to my tree. Before, 1.5"-3" was almost unavoidable, no matter how light the bow's draw weight. Now I have several bows that have less than an inch of set AND I can tiller a bow in half the time.

IMHO, the tillering tree has been the best "new" technique I have learned since getting back into making bows in late 2010.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:52:43 am »
Thanx guys for the helpful info I plan on tapering the inside of the the tree with a rasp so shorter handle bows won't touch the tree this bow is a kids bow that why it's much smaller in the handle it will be pulling 25# at full draw :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:49 am »
The string is Centered I just looks off I checked lol the handle on this bow is set lowers the arrow will rest at the top of the handle instead of the center of  the handle and if you look where my pulley sits ther is a small block of wood to compensates for the center of the bow the other way also. I'm just making use of what I have :) I plan to make a better one for working stronger bows this one is for up to 40-50 # max
I havento start some were and this is what I have at this time :) thanx for the feed back

I don't doubt that where you have your pulley rope attached to the bowstring is centered, or that the bow is centered for that matter.  What I was getting at is that the pulley does not appear to be in a straight line with where the rope attaches and where the arrow pass is on the handle.  This is an exaggeration, but that would be like pulling up or down on the bowstring while you pull it back, which would stress one limb more than the other.  Maybe it's just the photo, but that's what it looks like to me.  I'm not trying to bash your tree, just trying to save you some grief if it affects your tillering.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »

I don't doubt that where you have your pulley rope attached to the bowstring is centered, or that the bow is centered for that matter.  What I was getting at is that the pulley does not appear to be in a straight line with where the rope attaches and where the arrow pass is on the handle.  This is an exaggeration, but that would be like pulling up or down on the bowstring while you pull it back, which would stress one limb more than the other.  Maybe it's just the photo, but that's what it looks like to me.  I'm not trying to bash your tree, just trying to save you some grief if it affects your tillering.

Yep I see what he is saying you need to be sure and run a line square to the bow that would mean that the pulley at the bottom needs to be more to the right being that the post it is on is leaning.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:50 pm »
Ty for your observation il run a plumbline and take a pic if i get off work early. it's a illusion because the post it's mounted on is not straight. I appreciat your concern I'm not mad this is what I wanted from y'all  constructive critsizem to  make sure it's all mounted right before I use it Ty again il post the plumbline pic soon :)

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:05 pm »
Sterling, I don't know enough to offer helpful advice or suggestions but I do have a question.

Who set that crooked-ass post? ;D

Lane

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:30:43 pm »
Haha well it's a old carport my wife and I bought this place a few years ago the house and carport were erected in 1983. That the year I was born lol so it has some age to it I be it was straight when it was first made