Author Topic: Thoughts on tiller please?? Conclusion!!!  (Read 16376 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Thoughts on tiller please?? Update......
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 06:27:43 am »
Looks a lot better,good job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 08:45:45 am »
I concur with my two compadre's! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 07:55:49 pm »
Looks great! As to what Pat said about flippin the tips abit...thats what I did on ugly bow and it brought the draw weight up over 5#. I used 3/4" pipe under, heat it and clamped it to my bench at handle and tips. Just remember to put some kind of pad between em if you do. Again, great bow....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline gpw

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 10:06:09 am »
How does it shoot ??? Maybe better one way than the other...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 07:20:05 pm »
It picked up several fps. and you cant feel any stacking....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline lowell

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 08:37:06 pm »
gpw,

Shot it both ways and couldn't tell any difference so went with the way that was suggested. That was the way I was leaning too, just looking at how the limbs bent. Reflexed the tips a little and have a shelf cut in and handle is  shaped and begining to do final sanding.

Had some trouble when I tried reflexing tips. Was heating and gently pushing tip with hand before clamping to feel how it was bending and got a small fret at bend on belly. Super glued right away and then shot a little and seemed ok for now but will watch. Tonight I made a series of small pin punches on either side of fret as explained in Bowyers Bible III.

Learning more from this bow than any bow I have made so far. Hate to say it but thinking of the next bow before I have this one done. Got to make a bow for my unborn grandchild I just learned was on the way. No hurry though with that one I guess.

Also got permission to cut some osage and mulberry at neighbors, so want to do that soon too!!!

Work always seems to get in the way!!!LOL
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline lowell

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 10:55:09 pm »
About cutting wood today....

Was disappointed with the osage. Nice straight log but the rings were really narrow. Early and late rings were the same size :'(

The mulberry log is very straight and big rings.

For the mulberry, do I treat it like osage, seal ends, split and let dry??

Do osage ever fall down when cut!!!!! I always have them hang up in a tree that always is near and have to climb a tree to cut off the length I want to take home!! :(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 12:29:56 am »
Lowell, Do treat the mulberry just like osage. If you decide to take the bark off or if it falls off be ready to seal it ASAP.
   The osage ELB I built that won BOM, Feb 06 was thin ringed with equal early/late wood. ;D I even left a few rings of sap wood on it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

Re: Thoughts on tiller please?? Conclusion!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 12:25:06 am »
Got this bow done and ready for turkey next spring but will be shooting at a couple 3d first I'm sure.

Really like snake skin!!!  Wanted to back this one with snake and is the first I've tried. Found 1 bull snake dead on road and the neighbor gave me another the was killed baling hay. The 2 were very different in color so I was kind of dragging my feet hoping for a better combination.

Was mowing one night and the little neighbor boy that I had made an elm selfbow last winter came running to me and pointed at his dad holding a huge bull snake they had found on the road on there way to his baseball game. They had turned around , got snake and brought it to me!!

It was 60" long and was beautiful!! Had a cut in the back but was it in the middle of the snake so it worked out to be right where the handle was. It easily did the bow which is 53 inches  ntn.

Wanted to follow up on the progress and again thank everyone that gave opinions and helped me make this bow.

The only thing left is get a turkey with it next spring!!!! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

davidneils

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 12:52:56 am »
Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous with the bull snake skin for a backing. Next Spring you'll be able to simply hold that up within eyesight of a big Tom and he'll fall over from shock.  ;D

Fine work!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 01:19:09 am »
Great little bow and beautiful to boot! ;) Congrats!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 01:33:27 am »
Dang that is a pretty bow. And the tiller looks spot on.
Gordon

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:49 am »
Came out great....nice job.....Brian

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 10:52:23 am »
It looks pretty darn good to me.  The snakes do look great.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

a finnish native

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:40:39 pm »
looking good man.