Author Topic: Thoughts on tiller please?? Conclusion!!!  (Read 16378 times)

Offline lowell

Thoughts on tiller please?? Conclusion!!!
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:15:44 pm »
In past I have always looked for the straightest, cleanest stave I had.

This one I went the other direction. This one is a little snakey and has some knots to deal with that I have not had in the past. The one side was a little deflexed before but seems to be taking more as it is worked???

I hope for this bow to be a turkey bow I can shoot from my blind.

It is 54 inches long and I'm shooting for a target wieght of 45# to 50#  @26". It is pulling 45 at 20" in the picture with a brace of about 3 inches.

I have to take some more wood off to reach poundage but not sure where it should be bending more??  Tips??  Fades??? Middle??

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:08:49 am by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline DanaM

Re: Thoughts on tiller please??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:55 pm »
Looks like it could bend more at the fades but I'm no expert
I 'd wait for others to weigh in, I will say its time to slow down
don't want to come in light.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:14:20 pm »
The right hand fade and out a bit looks stiff at full draw. The first pic shows that area having some deflex. Is that where a knot is?  I think I'd try to heat that area back flat like the other limb then get it to bend a bit more. Other than that she looks real good. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:05 pm »
Pat B,

The knot is on the left side. The deflex seems to be where the snakey part out from the handle ends. Heating that area straight sounds like a good idea!!  Thanks!!

Then make it bend more near the handle???

The pics of turkeys were out shop window when I was taking pictures of bow.....also my inspiration for the bow!!!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:37:57 pm »

The right hand limb looks thick from the fades out about 8" or so. Could be just deceiving in the picture angle.

If that limb had deflex to begin with in that area, my guess is that you're attempting to make it "look" tillered even with the other limb, but could end up with that section of the right limb actually stiff due to natural deflex. I think there are times when a bow may not look well tillered, but actually is due to working around area's such as natural reflex or knots. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:53 pm »
If it were my bow and such a short stave I would try to get more bending near the fades. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:37:12 pm »
Thanks GregB and George, I think taking some from the fades and especially  the fade on the right side may make it come to wieght and make the tiller better.

Still thinking about heating and straightening right side some as suggested by Pat.

All comments make me think more about it. (Outside of my box)!!!!!    Thanks guys!!!   

Lowell

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:19:33 am »
Again, yes bend more in the at least the right fade. Yep, I can see that it is very thick in that area. Good looking bow, can't wait to see it done. :)
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:29:53 am »
I would probably heat and reflex the right limb some but be careful if that is a knot at the right
fade,sometimes they will split up at the handle if you put to much pressure on them trying
to get the hump out,so go easy.Sometime you just have to live with it.Is it thick at the right fade because of a knot? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 09:51:15 am »
There is not a knot at the snakey area, I think I was being extra
careful at that area and did not take enough wood. It also seems to have some propeller twist in that area (twists one direction then back in that short area).

Wanted to try something that gave me different challanges... think I found it.

Would it be best to heat it straight before I take some wood from that thick right fade??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 10:02:44 am »
You will probably be better to take the wood off first(at least some of it) then heat and bend the wood.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 10:12:57 am »
What Pat said,but as I said be very careful when bending around the knot ,don't put to much pressure on it or it may split back into the handle,I have had that happen several times.Now I am
more careful and don't try and get it all out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:56 pm »
Nice work so far. I'm no expert and can't help on the tiller especially concerning around knots and bends. I am wondering about the string angle a full draw. With still having six inches to go till full draw, would it be something to be concerned about? The more experienced folks here would know.
                                                                                              Eliseo

Offline lowell

Re: Thoughts on tiller please?? Update......
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 11:24:35 pm »
Wanted to give a little follow up on what I have done with what was sugeested.

I took some wood from the snakey area on the right limb and heated it back straight. I then started to try to get both limbs to bend properly and had to jump back and forth and have taken about all I want to without it getting too light.

It is at 43#'s at 26 ". Was hoping for 45# or a little over but think I will live with 43# and it will still be ok for turkey. I have shot it with the short brace and seems pretty nice. Will be working on the handle next. It ended up with more set than I wanted but it is at least evn now.

This is intened to be for spring turkey only, so hope to be able to use it for that at least till I can make another. My wife often ask which is my favorite bow and I always tell her "the last one I made" LOL

Wanted to back this one with a snake skin... be my first try at snake skin. I have one skin and have friends and neighbors keeping an eye out for one more they don't want around.

Any sugeetions on which limb should be the top(split finger shooter) or any other help\constructive critisism

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thoughts on tiller please?? Update......
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 12:46:59 am »
I'd say make the left limb the top limb. It seems to be bending a bit more. Looks pretty good though. Nice job.  With a little kick in each limb tip and you might get her over 45#.   Pat