Author Topic: Been awhile, what ive been doing  (Read 3210 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Been awhile, what ive been doing
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »
howdy ya'll i aint on here as much anymore because i dont have a computer and dont much get on em.been doing a lot of camping and a few some hiking on the AT. i moved out of my rents place to an apartment a few months after i graduated but im headed out april first with a buddy we are road tripping on foot. Going to be hitch hiking and trainhopping  >:D and a lot of walking. Wilderness and urban survival. My roadtrip last year wasnt...as long as planned but with me goin with my as adventurous friend the trip will be way longer. trainhopping is so much like hunting, gotta wait hours or days for that good train that you know will take you far and not stop within a couple miles. theres a lot of sign to be read as in hunting and a lot of outside time. But with this ill be outside 24/7 sleeping under bridges and whatever woods we can find. we are going to try to find farm work and side jobs and whatever we can. then in september ill be headed to alaska to work at a lodge with my pops predatorcaller. Ive been chipping out a vagabound/rambler lifestyle for myself. at my apartment, which i move out of in two weeks to head out, i sleep outside. been in closed houses for too long. aint slept in a house for 2 months! haha.  take care all, a few pics are from an overnighter on the AT me and predatorcaller did
Modern Day Tramp

Offline NTD

Re: Been awhile, what ive been doing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »
I'm sure you'll learn a lot of valuable lessons on this adventure.  Stay safe and enjoy.  When you hit a library or something be sure to check in with us ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
Sounds like quite the adventure. Not many young folks would even think about such a trip much less give it a try. Be safe and keep us posted if you can. Public libraries have free computer service so if you find yourself near one, let us know how your adventure is going. You might even consider keeping a diary and maybe writing a story for PA magazine.
   Bon voyage!      Pat

Nate, we think too much alike!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
Yeah I guess so Pat ;)  When I first came to the Southwest I spent 6 months camping in the Gila National Forest.  We let family know we were still alive when we could make it to the library. 

HunterTrapper,
I think one of the most interesting things you will find is the people you will meet along the way and the stories they will have to share.  Pat's idea of a diary would be a great way to record some of those.  There is a certain amount of freedom in those adventures that I really do miss....
Nate Danforth

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:54:56 pm »
oh yes i will. and yes sir i got a little tablet to take with me. NTD i agree meeting different people is awesome
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:27:17 pm »
Sounds like quite an adventure. Oh to be young and free again  ;). Enjoy yourselves, stay safe and keep us posted. This should make for some interesting stories. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:31 am »

Have fun, and be careful.  Very careful in the case of the trains, and sleeping under bridges, and such.  ;) Avoid the towns, and enjoy the outdoors.  Take your knife, and fire starter, and first aid kit, and aspirin, and hand sanitizer, extra socks, and extra pair of shoes, or boots, under wear, and shirt and pants, disposable razors, and a towel.  And of course, a lot of fish hooks, and sinkers, and fishing line. The power pro, is very strong, no stretch, and makes an excellent snare.  If you have a mesh hammock, they can be used as a fish net, in streams, and can be used as a back pack, by crossing the rope ends and going over your shoulders, and back under the arms, and tied to the hammock. The aspirin can be used to deaden pain, by wetting it and placing it on the area, also good for tooth ache by placing an aspirin on the affected tooth, and be sure to take your tooth brush, and SOAP.  A clean, and fresh smelling vagabond, will find more work, than a smelly one. :P  Good luck, and have fun, and watch your back trail. ;)  Oh, don't forget a couple rolls of TP ! ;D ::)

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:58:23 am »
Thanks Rick. Should have some stories for sure. Thanks stickbender for all the tips. The aspirin one I've
Never heard before  very kewl
Modern Day Tramp

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:51 am »
Stay safe young man.
Especially around the trains where there are "other people".

Keep good notes of your travels.

Let us know where you are headed.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:08 am »
Jumping trains...hmmm, I don't think there is an app for that... ;D
1’—>1’

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »
Fishing is my primary food source when I'm living off the land.  I prefer winter to summer... no bugs and snow doesn't get you as wet as rain.

When I was on the road working outdoors, I joined a health club that had clubs all over the US.  I would work out and take showers there.  Most were open 24 hours and all I needed was my membership card.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »
Good to hear from you, I wondered where you had been lately. Be careful out there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »
Sounds like your gonna have the time of your life. Good or bad. I thought about doing the same when I was younger but never did it. Looking forward to hearing your stories. Like Pat and NTD said. Stop in a library for internet.  Also stop in at a church and you are likely to find people willing to help you out or point you in the right direction.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:41:05 am »

Be careful under those enclaves, and over hangs.  You never know when one might detach. ;)  Also be careful about building a hot fire under it, as it can cause a spall, and hot shards of rock can go flying all over the place, and it might be enough to make it detach a big chunk.  Try to keep your fires small, for a number of reasons.  If on ground, dig a hole and build your fire in that.  You can make a cross hatch of limbs, and thicker stuff, on the first layer, and then on up to the lighter stuff for each layer, and make it like a pyramid, and then light the top part, and as it burns, it drops coals, down to the next layer, and it burns, and so forth, and it lasts longer, and you don't have to keep getting up and putting more wood on. ;)  You don't want to draw too much attention, on your adventure, be careful, and legal when you can. ::)  The Church is a good idea, and you just might find food, and work through that avenue also.  Of course they might shake you down for a donation..... ;D >:D  But it is a good place to get info, and help, and a little prayer wouldn't hurt your Trip either.  Again  watch your back trail, stay out of certain patches of big green bushes...... ::)  Could get a bit dangerous, some are bobby trapped with fish hooks, and other nasties, should you stumble upon them.  And if you smell chemicals, like acetone, etc. around an old barn, farm house etc. beat feet elsewhere.  There are a lot of Meth labs popping all over.  Montana has a problem with them.  Those people are very easily spooked, and suspicious, and not the friendliest to speak of, keep on keeping on. ;)  Don't get curious !  It could be very dangerous to do so.  Just keep on walking, and don't even glance that way, and keep going for a few miles, before stopping.  Do try to obey the no tresspassing signs. ;)  Some people don't have a sense of humor, if they catch you on their land.
     Other than that just the regular common sense cautions, always be aware of your surroundings, and people about you. ;)  Always have at least two escape routes from your camps, should there be a reason to beat feet.  Always, keep your pack packed and ready to go when you bed down, so if the need arises, for what ever reason, you can grab your hammock, sleeping bag, etc, and your pack, and boogie to places elsewhere without having to leave anything.  You might want to get some iodine tabs, to keep with you, and take some tea bags, it helps with the taste when you boil water.  Some peppermint tea bags, or some real peppermint oil, will help with that.  Also Peppermint helps with indigestion, and is slightly antibiotic, and a diluted drop or two will ease an ear ache.  I would take a small bottle of Australian Tea Tree oil with you.  Make sure it is 100% pure malaluca alternafolia.  NOt diluted with alcohol, or other oils.  You can get it at Wally World, in the Vitamin section.  It is the strongest over the counter antifungal, and antibacterial you can buy.  Don't get it in your eyes, or in your nose, or mucal areas.  A little rubbed under your nose will open clogged sinuses.  A little rubbed on your socks, and shoes, pants, etc. and the chiggers, ticks, and other little critters will stay away.  Smells pretty strong, like camphor and turpentine.  Do you have a mosquito net?  You can get them surplus pretty cheap from Sportsmansguide.com.  Under the military section.  Or a therma cell.  If you run into some skeeter country.  Stay away from the marshes and such, when camping for that reason, but take your light, and a gig and get some frogs. Also don't camp too close to still water, as it could have a nice crowd of skeeters. I am assuming you have all your fire starter material, magnesium bar with striker, steel wool, etc.
     Good luck and keep us updated, and keep that journal going, and take more than one note book, and pen.  And keep your folks updated, on where you have been, and where you are going, and on anything that has happened along the way. ;)
Enjoy it guys, you won't be able to do this later on, go for it, and have fun.  Oh, take a deck of cards. ;)

Wayne

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 11:05:18 am »
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it...... :D

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes