Author Topic: Curing a vine maple stave quickly  (Read 4942 times)

Offline StanM

Curing a vine maple stave quickly
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:41:49 pm »
I cut a vine maple today from a very special place, that a friend of mine's family homesteaded more than 100 years ago.  The property now belongs to a timber company.  My friend is just beginning to get interested in primitve archery and I would really like to have a bow made for him out of the vine maple by archery season, late season at least.

What's the best way to cure a stave quickly, without doing any damage to the stave?

Thanks,

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Gordon

Re: Curing a vine maple stave quickly
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:52:27 pm »
Split it in two, take the bark off and then rough it out. It will be ready for tillering in about 4 weeks.
Gordon

Offline StanM

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:54:07 pm »
Thanks Gordon, you're aces, my friend  ;)

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:23:38 am »
My pleasure Stan. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Gordon

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:13:42 am »
My house has those closets that are designed to dry clothes. I have always thought that they should be ok to dry wood too.

The only bad thing is that you cannot but 180cm (71") inc stave in the closet. But only something like
165cm(corner to corner).

I would start with lover temperature and after the wood has lost mass and apperars dry, then i would
increase temperature. Maple would be ideal for this exercise, since it will not check or split much.

I have not tried it yet for this purpose, since the only wood I have cut after moving in is Hazel <Coryolus Avellana>.
I am drying it outside with C-clamps wrapped in news paper and hope for the best.

Vertical metal pipe with lamp anf net over it would also be nice. I have used this one to dry up Bulletwood outdoor floorings (Sold as green).
I think adding fan would make this one quicker.