Author Topic: Shopping at the pet store for sinew...  (Read 8241 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Shopping at the pet store for sinew...
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:24 pm »

Well I picked up this "moo" brand cow tendon today. Broke out into some nice sinew. The only difference I see between this dried tendon and one you would buy anywhere else is that there is a distinct "dog treat" smell, which is disappointing and I will not buy another one. I usually use the scrap sinew to make the glue to back the bow, but I would not use this to make glue as it smells annoyingly like dog food. From what I can tell it has not been cooked or smoked or anything, but probably sprayed or flavored somehow. Some ferociously attractive store clerk chick came up to me when I was looking threw dog chews and asked what kind of dog I had, so I told her the chews were actually for me, which wierded her out. So I reluctantly tried to explain what I was going to use them for, which wierded her out more, :). Moral of the story, when you see a guy in a store smelling a bunch of different dog chews, leave him alone. :):):)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Shopping at the pet store for sinew...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:49 pm »
Lol... You should have made up that you had a awesome dog or something...  ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »
So, you would NOT reccommend these "Moo" treats or pet store type sinew?  Just curious, trying to locate a local source for some myself...many thanks
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
"So, you would NOT reccommend these "Moo" treats or pet store type sinew?  Just curious, trying to locate a local source for some myself...many thanks"

Actually I probably would, as they don't seem to be cooked or baked or anything that would make them appear any different than just "hung out and dried" tendons. Except the dog treat smell. But I am going to try to wash the smell off with some soap real quick from this other one I got in a minute. But You know, seems like good quality sinew. Still says "not for human consumption" on it real bold, which is kinda scary. But it handles like any other sinew I've ever worked. The dog treat smell is not that bad, just little things like that irk me.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »
I about died laughing at this story! that is some funning stuff.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »
toomanyknots ,

Still says "not for human consumption" on it real bold, which is kinda scary

I would imagine all this means is that the chews have not been handled in a manner befitting of food grade materials and/or the processor is not licensed to supply human food.

Craig

Offline medic336

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:02 pm »
Is there a how too on using scrap sinew to make glue for backing. I'd like to know more about that process.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »
toomanyknots ,

I would imagine all this means is that the chews have not been handled in a manner befitting of food grade materials and/or the processor is not licensed to supply human food.

Craig

Ohh, cool.

"Is there a how too on using scrap sinew to make glue for backing. I'd like to know more about that process."

Exactly like any other hide glue you make. I believe the bowyers bible has a good explantion on how to make hide glue. You can make very good hide glue from only sinew. I guess it should be called "sinew" glue since there is no hide in it. The dog food smell really does suck, I washed the other one off with soap real good before fibering it out and didn't make a dent in the smell. I just don't want a bow that might be used for hunting to be smellin so strong...   

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
toomanyknots ,

Craig

Ohh, cool.

"Is there a how too on using scrap sinew to make glue for backing. I'd like to know more about that process."

Exactly like any other hide glue you make. I believe the bowyers bible has a good explantion on how to make hide glue. You can make very good hide glue from only sinew. I guess it should be called "sinew" glue since there is no hide in it. The dog food smell really does suck, I washed the other one off with soap real good before fibering it out and didn't make a dent in the smell. I just don't want a bow that might be used for hunting to be smellin so strong...   

who knows, the smell might help, got any irritating dogs in your neighborhood >:D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:00:54 pm »
Just make sure you don't accidentally end up trying to smash up a pizzle stick (AKA bull wiener ;P )

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »
i have never met a hot chick while buying sinew.i think now i will be checking out all the pet stores in my area.thanks for the tip,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »
This is a pretty dang funny thread when you stand back and look at the big picture  ::)

Yeah, I was wondering if that smell didn't dissipate quickly it might only make a bow that would be handy for attracting Predator Type critters, good Yote or Bobcat bow maybe...LOL!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »
Great story!  I've been looking for sinew at pet stores for years and never found any.  I need to look again.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:51 pm »
i definitely would have lied..  lol.  they are for me.  good one!  lol.  one of those moments were you were like, wait, rewind time please.. annnddddd stop. 

yes, they are for my irish wolfhound, Sweetie.  she has been chewing on my leather bound books and rich mahogony furniture..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:58 pm »
You blew it, plain and simple.  No way around it. 

You should have came up with some cock-n-bull story about rescuing this unbelievably beautiful dog from an abusive owner.  Then engage her in conversation and leave WITHOUT asking for her phone number.  It's critical to not ask right away.  Then you hotfoot it to the local pound where you pick out the scroungiest, nastiest, mangiest dog you can find.  Next day you come back with the dog, and tell her that "Gizmo" wanted to thank her for the wonderful treat she recommended.  She will ask for your number at that point.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.