Author Topic: newbie's question: whitetail hunting arrows?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline questidore

• I serve the King of kings
newbie's question: whitetail hunting arrows?
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:57 am »
I'm new to this game so I'm asking questions that probably have been covered:  are bamboo arrows too light for hunting whitetails or feral pigs?  I have access to a large stand of bamboo and I have read enough to understand that cane's drawback as arrow material is its lightness.  Can that be sufficiently compensated for by foreshaft and can glass or stone be used successfully for arrowheads?

Thanks
O God, thy sea is so great-- and my boat is so small.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: newbie's question: whitetail hunting arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:20 am »
Part 1.  No
Part 2. Yes
Part 3. Yes
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:22 am »
cane only drawback in my opinon is that not everyone keeps fields stocked with it. it is considered the natural carbon for arrow making. you can always weight the tips if need to match your arrows foreshafts or not. hot glue or pine pitch sinew or silk feathers or vanes. the possibilities are endless. make sure of local game laws because here stone and glass points are not legal. wish they were i have started flaking some glass for replicas lol and would love to see if they could take otu a deer. i know they are sharp as all heck. so make some have fun.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:10 am »
I don't know where cane got it bad rap about being too light. I cut my own hill cane shafts and the arrows I make from them are between 550gr and 650gr with 125 gr points and 29" long. As long as your cane arrows are 10gr per # of draw weight(legal draw weight) they should be fine for hunting any animal in North America.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »
My experience is the same as Pat's-most of my cane arrows are considerably heavier than my wooden ones. I have seen some Tonkin that was pretty light.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.