Author Topic: Jugging this weekend...  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Jugging this weekend...
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
hillbilly and his buddy jt.  between buckets of rain and lake wind advisories, we managed to catch 26 channels and one gar.  experimented with using shrimp but they were a bust.  if you would look close at the expression on steve's face, it's almost the same one he had when the big one broke off his jug.  enjoy!

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Jugging this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:35 pm »
Hell Chris....I thought that was the only Look Steve had..... >:D

Nice Haul Boys!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:06 am »
Nice fish, guys. Kathie said "Wholey Crap, they all look the same", and she wasn't talking about the the fish. Try squid the next time. it won't come off a hook and smells just like stinky shrimp.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:45 am »
Dang you'd have to chip the ice off first here.....LOL.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:41 am »
I gaurentee you guys got wet. We had almost 5" of rain in the last two days. Steady rain with very few gaps. Nice mess of cats guys. When do we eat!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:15 am »
I wish it was legal to jug in Florida, I went up to Alabama last year with a friend and had a blast!!  Nice catch! ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:15:14 am »
  Wow, some good eating there!  I think Kathie, is right!  How close do those family trees grow up there?  :o Better keep the dog around the wood pile! ;D  Also try putting your bait in some old pantie hose material.  Wait, let me rephrase that, try putting your shrimp in some nylon stocking material, and then put your hook through that.  ::) You can tie it up in a little ball, and then run the hook through it.  That way you can use, cheese, shrimp, soap, etc., or.....use squid.  Let it sit a day.  then keep it in a closed plastic container. ;)  Hold your breath when you open it.  Or you can just keep it hid, and take credit for a silent one. ;D  Have you ever tried the "Catfish Stink Bait" ?  That stuff is horrible! :P  Put some of that in a nylon stocking material ball.  Or , you can put some in a baggy, and put it under someone's truck seat..... ::) , or if you don't like the person, you can put some on the radiator,  Or you could put a peanut butter label on it......Or....you could put the stink bait label on a peanut butter jar, and while fishing with your buddies, and take a big ol spoonful of it, and eat it, and put the jar back in the tackle box, and then later on reach down, and take out the real stuff....just ....uh...don't get them confused which is which..... :o>:D......it has uses other than catching catfish...... ;) ;D >:D   If you have never smelled it, it is horrible smelling!  The poor people who work at that factory, must be real skinny, cause you sure wouldn't have an appetite after putting that stuff in jars all day! :P :o
Hey, bad weather is when fishing is best!  And there are fewer crazy people out there fishing, so you have the place pretty much to yourself! ;)  Nice haul !
                                                                        Wayne

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:38:10 am »
it's cut shiners from now on.  forgot to mention the ten pounds of bbq chicken, salad, french bread, taters and onions we feasted on sat. night. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:40 am »
Nice catch...sure it was a lot of fun!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42:32 am »
Really?  No luck with shrimp?  Other than a leopard frog, that is the most productive channel cat bait I have ever used.  The fresher, the better, in my experience they don't go for the rank stuff when fresh is available. 

Sometimes we use cut shiner when we are running out of shrimp.  I use some #10 fly tying hooks with a bit of shrimp the size of a pregnant grain of rice to catch the shiners.  Once caught a 2" cchannel cat that way!

Nice catch, man.  Good eats!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:34 am »
we used shrimp once last summer and caught just about as many cats on them than we did using cut shiners.  don't know what happened on this last trip. 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:50:25 am »
Ever tried Catalpa worms?  That's always been the ticket for channels in the river for us.  I'm ready for a plate of cats straight out of some hot grease.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:26 am »
Chris:  One of the perks of coming to the Classic is you can eat catfish in the local cafes!  Would love to try some jugging!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »
We used to catch a bunch on trot lines during the WV turkey season, iin the New River. Best eating fish thar is.

I must say they sure do have a purdy mouth... :D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »
Had a ball, even with the weather. And that was 27 cats, Chris. :) And Eddie, I can't help it if you look weird, everybody can't be model material like us. :D Next time, we'll eat the shrimp ourselves. Pat, you might get to eat some of them the same place you did last year. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.