Author Topic: Level 1 Bowyer  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Arrowind

Level 1 Bowyer
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:38:25 pm »
I used to play Dungeons and Dragons with my brothers when I was growing up.  Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie.  (I consider all three to be one long movie)  I think these interests are just another reason I like making bows.  It's like the ancient bowyer building a weapon to hunt with or for defense.

My brother was excited to hear I had started making bows and we started joking around about being a "Level 1 Bowyer".  He asked, "So are you level 2 yet?" and started laughing.  We had a conversation about what the requirements would be to "gain levels" in Bowyer skill.

Here's just a fun list of what I've come up with so far....

Level 1
Make a successful bow
Make your own string.

Level 2
Make a bow from two different woods
Make your own arrow (more of "Fletcher" task I guess. I just think that a Bowyer should be able to make arrows too)
Make a bow and arrive at goal draw length and weight.

Level 3
Make a bow from three different kinds of wood.
Make two different kinds of strings.  Endless loop and Flemish twist.
Make a dozen matching arrows.

I'm just having fun with this....I'm sure there could be many other combinations or requirments...  maybe some of you Level 20 Bowyers out there have some ideas.  Different styles, types of designs for bows, ELB, recurve, flat bow, board or stave, wood bending, different kinds of finish, arrow spine, arrow speed, cast, amount of set, accuracy, draw weight, different materials, handle style, tips, etc etc etc....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Level 1 Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »
Cool idea... Reminds me about playing lots of computer games when I was younger... I think that I may be a level 3 bowyer right now... Lol:)

Offline toymaker

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:32:33 pm »
Looks like I'm at a level one !!!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:38:26 pm »
Cool idea. I have no idea what level I am, but I like your line of thinking. Always working towards goals and doing your best, putting out your very best effort, is something that keeps this fun and challenging, and always different. This site is a great place to learn. Seeing people post their bows is great, the ideas, knowledge, and skill of some of these guys is simply awesome. I always keep trying to push things when building. Keep asking what else can I do? What haven't I tried? How can I make this better? Just keep having fun and LEVEL UP! ;D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
Great.  You just challenged me to make a dozen arrows to complete my level 3 bowyer
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
Great.  You just challenged me to make a dozen arrows to complete my level 3 bowyer

Not to be a picker Outlaw, but I beleive it says 'A Dozen MATCHING Arrows'.  >:D

Good Luck ;)

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »
'Make a bow from two different woods' is ambiguous.
Do you mean a laminated bow of two differnt woods? Or do you mean make bows of different woods?
I know it's just a bit of fun, but I'm a pedant!
Yeah I think. Make bows of more than one style should be a requirement, and probably enchanted arrows too ::).
I've made an invisible bow, but I can't remember where I put it.
Ah, it's probably under my cloak of stupidity ;D.
Del
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:04:13 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:15:15 pm »
Level 1.5...I've never made a bow from 2 or 3 different woods (nor do I want to) but do make my own shafts. I also make my own Flemish strings. I used to make endless strings. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
Do you mean a laminated bow of two different woods? Or do you mean make bows of different woods?
Yeah I think. Make bows of more than one style should be a requirement, and probably enchanted arrows too ::).
Del

Yes I guess I should have been more clear.  What I mean is to build two different bows.  One from one kind of wood and another from a different type of wood.
For example.    Bow number 1 made from Red Oak and Bow number 2 made from Hickory.  And so forth... 3 different bows made from 3 different kinds of wood. 

But that also brings up the thought of laminated bows, or composite bows, like from horn and sinew....

I'd love to shoot the invisible bow.  Once you find it please post some pics.  :D

I was wearing my cloak of stupidity the other day.  I works remarkably well....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
Level 1.5...I've never made a bow from 2 or 3 different woods (nor do I want to) but do make my own shafts. I also make my own Flemish strings. I used to make endless strings. :) Jawge

Yes I didn't do a good job explaining the different woods etc.  see above post.  Based on what I've read and seen on your site.....I'd have to guess level 25+   ;D  You are like the Bowyer Master....

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »

Yes I didn't do a good job explaining the different woods etc.  see above post.  Based on what I've read and seen on your site.....I'd have to guess level 25+   ;D  You are like the Bowyer Master....

Call him Yoda we can.  >:D

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:35 am »

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:10:01 am »
Do you mean a laminated bow of two differnt woods? Or do you mean make bows of different woods?
Del

Del. That's the one you sent me. I think I got it. :o At least you "said" you sent it to me >:( Now that I think about it, it did shoot a little sluggish and not very far Maybe 2" in fromt of my feet :D I just hung it on my rack and look at it every day when I walk by ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:20:04 am »
Del

Del. That's the one you sent me. I think I got it. :o At least you "said" you sent it to me >:( Now that I think about it, it did shoot a little sluggish and not very far Maybe 2" in fromt of my feet :D I just hung it on my rack and look at it every day when I walk by ;D
Yeah, and I had trouble cashing your invisible cheque ;D
Del

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:41:39 am »
 But you did'nt see it bounce either ;D ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2