Author Topic: foot bow  (Read 17630 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: foot bow
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:42 pm »
You will be able to string a bow of 250 with a stringer, I would think a hickory back tapered ipe core and a hickory belly would work, I have that combination on the tiller at the minute showing 90 at 14" just got it off the long string
that sounds like quit a bow, why hickory as a belly? i thought it was just good for tension
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »
-I've used the 220#@30" wytch elm bow as a foot bow, and it's a lot of fun. Actually, you won't use your arms much. You hold the string with both hands while your legs are bent, and then just straighten out your legs. Remember to tie the bow to your feet.
It was not at all difficult, and it wasn't any hard to "pull" (push?) the bow at all. I could have shot a much heavier bow this way. What was hard, was aiming and not overdrawing the bow, as it's hard to see where the arrow stops while lying on the ground like that.

I guess if you make a bow from osage, yew, wytch elm etc., you can easily make a 250- 300#'er if you just make it long and wide enough. I guess if I were going for 300#, I would have made a w/d 7cm/5 cm at handle, 230cm long ELB style bow from wytch elm. (Hmm, maybe I will..?) I'd also give it a thorough heat treating on the belly.

-I also guess osage would be perfect for such a project

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:15 pm »
-I've used the 220#@30" wytch elm bow as a foot bow, and it's a lot of fun. Actually, you won't use your arms much. You hold the string with both hands while your legs are bent, and then just straighten out your legs. Remember to tie the bow to your feet.
It was not at all difficult, and it wasn't any hard to "pull" (push?) the bow at all. I could have shot a much heavier bow this way. What was hard, was aiming and not overdrawing the bow, as it's hard to see where the arrow stops while lying on the ground like that.

I guess if you make a bow from osage, yew, wytch elm etc., you can easily make a 250- 300#'er if you just make it long and wide enough. I guess if I were going for 300#, I would have made a w/d 7cm/5 cm at handle, 230cm long ELB style bow from wytch elm. (Hmm, maybe I will..?) I'd also give it a thorough heat treating on the belly.

-I also guess osage would be perfect for such a project
i am unfortunately limited to what i have, i just started building bows in the last few months and there has been a fewfeet of snow the entire winter untill recently, so i think ill have to make it from boards ipe and hickory i think right now, my plans are right now 8ft long, i am going to try for a 36in draw( the arrow will be more of a spear ;D) i might be able to access some osage, but i'm not sure.
thanks for the input,
noel
PS: what about red elm, it seems pretty easy to get on ebay for less than osage

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »
i think i found a source for wood ;D

Offline Ian.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
You will be able to string a bow of 250 with a stringer, I would think a hickory back tapered ipe core and a hickory belly would work, I have that combination on the tiller at the minute showing 90 at 14" just got it off the long string
that sounds like quit a bow, why hickory as a belly? i thought it was just good for tension
thanks
noel

It won't perform well at all but it can make the weight rudderbows did something similar
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:51 pm »
thanks
noel

It won't perform well at all but it can make the weight rudderbows did something similar
so would it be better as just ipe and hickory backing, or what else could i use as a belly?
thanks
noel

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »
Ipe, red oak, the oak we have here in scandinavia, masaranduba, osage, +++.. -There are several compression strong woods out there.

-btw, trees like the big one on the truck should not be cut down..

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
Ipe, red oak, the oak we have here in scandinavia, masaranduba, osage, +++.. -There are several compression strong woods out there.

-btw, trees like the big one on the truck should not be cut down..
i couldn't agree more, what did they think, trees that size just grow on trees ;D