Author Topic: Flute build along  (Read 30171 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Flute build along
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:06 am »
outstanding build this has been fun to watch, now if i knew anyone that was a wood worker

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:55 pm »
Michael C, thank you for posting sound bytes.  I pulled it up on the smartboad and the kids were mesmorized by the flute and the beautiful music.  They were in awe ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »
Wow that is a sweet sounding flute thanx for the build along I'm not sure if I could ever do it but one day i mite try
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:49 pm »
Hi Michael,

Looks good to me whether a hawk, eagle or salmon...(I saw a snapper that I found in the road heading toward our pond...). To show how good it is I will attempt to figure out how to load a picture of "Critter"...one of branch flutes so all these flute makers can see "True Art" ? Ha!

Rand

BTW...looking forward to seeing what you do with the branch
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:58 pm »
:P yeah I think that is pretty much the same photo that I found when I went to look for what you were talking about Lee. I couldn't agree more and I'm not offended.

On a side note I have been trying to reply to your emails Wayne but it says your inbox is full and I can't get one to you. I should be finished with your flute this week and have it sent out to you. Jeff you should be getting yours in just a day or two, when I sent it out and they said it should be there by Tues or Weds.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline jwarwick

• Paying Advertiser to PA... StavePress
    • StavePress
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »
Thats really an interesting build Michael C !
thanks for posting

Jon
Buy a good piece of land and put your heart into it.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »
Very cool build allong! Love the sound bytes awsome work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:44 am »
Hey michael are you still going to do the branch flute or did I miss that?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Soft Talker

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:37 am »
Looking forward to the branch flute, hope you do that one..  Thanks

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2011, 11:12:21 am »
Looking forward to the branch flute, hope you do that one..  Thanks

I will hopefully be able to get around to it in the next few weeks, I've got to many other irons in the fire right now that I need to concentrate on. I promise I will come back to it though :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Stoker

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2011, 05:09:18 pm »
Very interesting buildalong..Like to see the branch flute I have a peice of yew that's calling.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
I'm starting on mine this afternoon... gonna have to hollow out with hand tools though... Mine isn't gonna be nearly as detailed and pretty as yours is but I want my first one to just be a no-frills functioning flute (hopefully!) wish me luck.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 12:57:20 am »
Okay, I have mine almost finished...in the process of tuning it now. the fundamental note is F.  removing one finger at a time starting at the bottom hole I am tuning it G#, A#, C, D, E, and all open holes is F#.  this is the primary tuning I found on a different site.  I have a question about my holes. I have noticed as I am tuning each hole starting with the bottom one that my holes are increasing in size as I work my way towards the sounding edge, is this normal?  I am on the second to the last hole now and it is very noticeable the size increase from hole to hole as you go up the flute.  Is this gonna present a problem when playing?  The holes are 1 1/8" apart and in the exact center of the sounding edge and end of my flute.  It just looks weird to me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 06:54:00 pm »
The diameter in the entire length of the flute is important to how large your finger holes will be, how close to the flue you started your holes and how far apart your holes are. If you have a higher key flute like an A or an F (sometimes G's) the finger holes will be closer to 1" apart, depending on where you start your holes, and your chamber diameter is also going to be about 3/4" instead of 1" in diameter. I tend to use 1" diameter bores on most of my A to Em flutes, but I don't measure very much any more because I have messed up enough flutes to kind of eyeball where I want to start. If you're holes aren't staying close to consistent then you may be using the wrong frequency to tune to or maybe your holes were started to close to the foot of the flute. Can you post some photos? It's kind of like making your first bow, it's not going to be your best one :)

Cicero

Offline Josh

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »
here it is... after like the 2nd or 3rd hole they started staying around the same diameter.  the bottom hole was the one that ended up being really noticeably smaller. Thanks again for the build along!  :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25240.0.html

Also it came out a little breathy but i think i have it narrowed down to making my sounding board a little too deep.  I tested it with a piece of masking tape over the sounding board and the breathiness went away.  what can i do to permanently fix it besides sanding down the nest?  I can't wait to start on my next one, just like the first arrow from a bow you built that first note from my first flute got me addicted!   :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:35:16 pm by Josh »