Author Topic: Flute build along  (Read 30172 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Flute build along
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »
I love this!!!!  Great build along!!!  Keep up the good work and hurry up so you can start on mine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:25 pm »
Hi Michaeel,

Never thought of using bone for inlay...duh!!!...this is cool...and how did you load the sound bite?...that is way cool too...

Wayne...the Melbourne Flute Festival which is called Native Rythyms is in Nov. of each year...I go each year...got a brother in both places in Florida (Destin and Melbourne) so get to have a family reunion twice a year...both festivals have websites...you can see the flutes that won each year in the makers contests.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline stickbender

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

Thanks, but hopefully, I will be living in Montana by Nov.  I will check it out anyway, and see when the one in Destin is.  I am going out in April with a load of stuff, and then come back for one more final load.   Hopefully.

Wayne

Offline Postman

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »
Very cool!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16:53 am »
Well for my flutes I measure where the center is between the sound edge and the foot, now the foot just means where you have either drilled a hole in your flute, where the flute was cut off to reach your root note or where the carving at the foot of the flute is going to be. For this one I will be carving something on the flute foot, this is why it doesn't look like the holes are measured from the center, so I measure from that point back to the sound edge and divide that by 2 in order to find my center. Once I have my center I will measure from that point 9/16ths back make a mark and 9/16ths forward and make a mark, I like to keep my holes about 1 1/8" just because any farther apart and it gets a bit uncomfortable for most people to play. These two spots are going to represent the 3rd and 4th holes in a 6 hole flute. Now all you have to do is use these two points to make 2 more measurements from the 4th hole 1 1/8" apart and from the 3rd hole down 1 1/8" apart, remember to drill on the center of your mark not above or below it. You can also draw a center line if it's important for you to get it specifically straight, I usually just eyeball it. This is sort of hit or miss sometimes depending on how well you've bored out your flute and how thick your walls are. You're just going to have to experiment and figure it out mostly for yourself :) A bit like making a bow eh? This is one reason I gave the disclaimer of me not having any sort of formula except what I've sort of figured out over the years doing these. One rule of thumb I have noticed though is the closer to the sound edge you make the holes the smaller you have to make the holes to get them in tune and the closer to the foot you make the holes the larger your holes will be, so if you want bigger or smaller holes keep that in mind. The last two pics I have for you are the before and after shots of the finger holes, it doesn't take very long to tune one once you get the hang of it and the hardest parts are over with. If you have a flute that plays then you are doing better than most people, even if it's not exactly in tune.

I've also put a photo sequence in how I was taught to measure using your own hand. These types of tunings don't always turn out being in tune with anything but themselves. They do have a voice unique to the person's measurements you use though which is pleasing to some people.

Before tuning

After tuning

hand measurement sequence

And another sound byte of the tuned flute, turns out it wanted to be a G# not a Gm. Rand I have these on my blog site and just link it from there with some techno wizardry   ;)

http://www.sociallybroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tuned-G.mp3

It will take a few more days to finish off the carving and I will try and get it finished and posted before I take off to Arizona, if not it may be a few weeks, so sorry to leave you hanging and thanks for sticking around to read the whole thread. I hope I have been able to help some of you out with getting a better idea on how to start exploring another hobby and maybe you will have some to show off when I get back. Until then thanks for being patient and I hope all the photos/links didn't kill your computer, if they did or if they are causing a problem on the board let me know and I will remove the links.

P.S. Thanks to all the other folks who have taken the time to do a build along and thanks for the thanks you've given me, I have a brand new appreciation for what you went through to make your own build alongs :) To anyone who hasn't tried it don't be scared I encourage you to give it a go and share whatever you can.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:21:34 am by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline stickbender

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 05:24:14 am »

Excellenat sound byte.  Thanks.

Wayne

HatchA

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 11:22:17 am »
     Excellenat sound byte. 

Strangely "calming"  thanks for posting it :)

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »
Hi Michael,

Excellent work and demonstrations...I do my holes a little differently as I was taught by a boo flute maker...I measure from the backwall of the TSH to the fundamental (root) and then divide by 2...drop down a bit and then multiply .075 times the length and that gives me the distance between the holes...yep, might be confusing... ya'll use Michael's method...you will find it is the same as mine just dressed up in different language!

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 04:06:55 am »
Done with this one now to get back to the branch :)

Talon bit is made from cocobolo with some more bone I used for the sound edge inlay sandwiched between the tip of cocobolo. I'll have to wait till the sun gets up to take some better photos.

Got some of the Malachite that Rand suggested while I was over in Navajo and Hopi country (it's probably from India though)  :)

Some daytime photos

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:28:44 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 03:18:35 pm »
Dang, a Salmon...sweet work!  Love everything about it!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 04:21:30 pm »
Dang, a Salmon...sweet work!  Love everything about it!

;D ;D ;D I had to stop laughing after I read that before I could type. I guess it's a good thing that I never claimed to be a carver at the beginning or it may have discounted everything else I wrote, it's supposed to be a hawk or eagle head. That made me laugh so hard though because I looked at it after I read that and it does look like a salmon :)

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:52 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

(quietly shuffling off to climb under the rock I came from...)
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »
Haha, no I can see what you're talking about I just didn't see it until you said it. The stylized feathers do look like scales and the beak does look like a salmon beak, I thought it was funny when I read it not insulting :)

Cicero

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »
Wow dude, you've got some serious skills!

I've been following this kind of half-interested, wondering "what would a guy want with a flute?".  All I could think of is the magic whistle used to warp to different levels in the Super Mario Brothers video game :)   But seeing how you turn them into a masterpiece, and actually HEARING that sound byte, I can see now why a guy would want one ;)  I'm ashamed of my ignorance :P

Well done!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 07:18:30 pm »
Sorry Michael, I honestly meant no insult...

It was probably just the angle of the pic and me not paying enough attention.  Here is what I "saw" when I looked at it...

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold