Author Topic: Flute build along  (Read 30200 times)

Offline Michael C.

Re: Flute build along
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:51:09 pm »
One of my buddies dad has 240 acres and he cuts some of the cedars down to clear his line of site from his tree stands and that branch was just a piece from one of those trees. I imagine if you've sealed off the ends and left the bark on it should dry fine, it might take a while and I don't know if you split it if it will check or not.  This is the first branch flute I've made and most of the branches I've picked up and meant to do this with have all been fallen and dried out, so I wouldn't have a clue how to dry them correctly, sorry I couldn't help you more on that point. One of the members here who goes by the handle Catahoula pmed me and said he has made a few of these branch flutes and said he would be glad to answer any questions I have, so you might want to hit him up.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »
Hi Michael,

I dry my branches for a year...usually seal the ends with my old bottle of tightbond III...but you can use wax, varnish, or paint.  I really do like doing what you did and find a branch from a tree that has passed or has been taken down in a storm and is already mostly dried...love the spalted branches... 

When carving the branches out I use flexcuts and learned the hardway that wearing kevlar gloves is real smart and wearing leather isn't as I sliced the mess out of myself finger, hand and leg when a spalted magnolia busted on me as I was carving it out...

I was wondering how you traditionally lay out your holes...I use a formula that was taught to me by my teacher several years ago (a boo flute maker here in SC) but interestingly enough the Cherokee method that the famous Hawk Littlejohn used almost always winds up being the same as my fancy mathematical formula!! 

Your build along will be fun to watch...I will be demonstrating making a branch or routed flute at the Tenn Classic...still need to get up with Pappy to make sure that is ok with him...

You can see my flutes at Catahoulaflutes.com  (I do not sell my flutes via my site so am not hawking anything)

Sure is nice to see interest in flutes as they really are quite wonderful and you sure are right...you start playing and two hours later realize that you aren't stressed about what ever was messing with your head before you started playing...

Rand in SC 
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:32 am »
hah I wish I had waited a day and then read your post Rand as I cut the snot out of myself yesterday and ended up with 5 stitches in my hand. I think the worst part was the tetanus shot and the numbing shots, as many times as the stuck me to numb it they could have just sewn it shut. I wasn't going to say anything cause I felt pretty stupid after I did it and it was with a flexcut set too, so I don't feel so bad now :)

I learned a couple of different ways to measure depending on how I was making them, the first few I made were from cane that I found near my house and I just went to work on them. One of the older guys that saw I was trying to learn on my own made a few different knotted strings to use as measuring tool, he also showed me how to just use my hand as a guide. Now I just use a ruler or guess about how far equi-distance from the sound edge and from the bottom of the flute then make my initial holes there then use a Korg tuner to get the key matched so it can be played with other western instruments. I will make a photo series to show how you use your hands to measure. Some people ask for it to be made this way if they don't care if its in tune with other instruments. I used to ask but most people want it capable to play along and they usually end up playing it more if it's scaled that way. I just ask them to give me an outline of their hand, kind of like the turkey drawings you made when you were a kid and use that if that's the way they want it.

Thanks for the info on drying, that will help out in the future if I end up cutting any. Nice site by the way, do you have a place with some sound bytes of your flutes. I plan on making a short clip once I'm finished with these so everyone knows the actually play :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:44 am »
Dang, I didn't know this Flute making this was such a rough "sport"  :o

hope you feel better and heal fast....
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:56:22 am »

If you don't already knapp, blood letting is part of it. ;D

Wayne

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:37 am »
More cuts like that and he might take ther perminate nap.

Watch yourself guy, I mean heck, Who will finish the build a long if you do some serious damage?

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 03:32:19 am »
Heh, yeah I felt really dumb as soon as I did it because I knew better than to be cutting the way I was. It was just a "one more shaving from this spot and I got ...... uh blood is spurting outta' my wrist, I think I better get to the er." I walked into the er with my hand over my head and the lady asked me if she could help. I said yeah I have a question, she didn't get it, apparently they don't raise their hands in school where she is from. I did go out today to buy one of those carving gloves, I asked them if they had one that would fit over my whole arm :P

Cicero

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:42 am »
How 'bout a little less bleeding and a little more flute-making please!

Just kidding bud, I'm glad you're ok!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »
You have a packing plant anywhere near you? My brother is an inspector at a plant in MO and because of his heart, is on a blood thinner. He has to wear kevlar from finger to sholder and metal mesh under that, and the arm shields over that.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

HatchA

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »
Jesus!!  That's possibly the ALST thing I expected to see in a flute build-along!!   :o :o

Caught me more  than a little off guard but the second pic shows that the first looked worse than it actually was/is.

Heal fast pal, watch yourself ;)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »

Aha!  :o  So those flutes are actually just plain ol pine, and you stain them to look like cedar! ;D
Won't that stain turn sort of brown later on? ::)  How come there are ants on those flutes?

Wayne

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 01:34:51 pm »
great build along ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »
Hi Michael,

I would be glad to talk with about branch flutes, et al. In case you would be interested...branch flutes are my thing...can't claim to be NA other than through DNA... Like that branch you are working with.

Rand
Catahoulaflutes.com

Just in case anyone is wondering where the branch flute is I plan on calling Rand this weekend sometime to get some pointers. I want to make sure I'm approaching it in a way that will work before I cut my other hand off (even though he's not NA) :) Just kidding Rand, I look white as a feather when you put me up against all of my relatives on my Moms side. I'm only a quarter and all of my cousins and full blood buddies pick on me as the token white guy in the bunch  8) One of my Comanche friends said you Chickasaws have it all wrong you are supposed to show up covered in your enemies blood not your own, after he saw that pic of my hand.

Here is where I am at on the board flute

Use a 5/32" drill bit at the largest if you want to only drill one hole or a smaller bit to drill 3 - 4 holes to get your sound edge and air chamber flue started. You can use the marks you laid out on the flute to approximate where your sound edge and the exit for your slow air chamber is going to be. If you were like me and routed with crooked eyes make sure that you find the center according to your bore mark it and drill on both sides of the 7/8" area I wrote about earlier. The photo below shows the bottom, but drill from the top using the marks I am talking about. It's not critical if you get a little bit off, just don't get to crazy with your hand drill or drill press and you will be fine. The drilled holes are prep for where you will be carving out your sound edge and flue.

The air chamber is important and the sounding edge is critical at this stage, so make sure to do a good clean job of carving it out. Make sure to get the whole channel clear of any splinters that might cause the air to shift one way or another while you're playing. You can see in the diagram I posted that both the air chamber flue and the sound edge are angled about 30 to 35 degrees make sure not to forget to angle it because that will give a nice crisp sound that you can sustain with light or heavy breathing.

Sometimes I put a bevel in the top of the flue and sound edge but it's not necessary; I tend to bevel if I compress the wood just to clean it up a bit. If you do compress the wood don't press down too hard and damage the sound edge or flue, I also soak a little ca glue in those areas just to harden it a bit on these softer woods. If you're up to it you can inlay a tougher wood into these areas for the same purpose.

Once you have that all cleaned up you want to oil the inside of the flue and sound chamber before you glue it up, just be careful to keep away from the areas that will be glued together. I've started using general finish butcher block oil with beeswax melted into it, but have also used an olive oil beeswax mixture, so that no one is kissing an oil that may be funky. Just make sure you don't use something that might chip off or toxic since you're putting your moufff up gain' it.

Here are the halves after they've been oiled up and the edges cleaned off with some Everclear, at this stage I slap on some titebond 3 and put the inner tube wrap on it. I like to use old bike inner tubes or some sort of heavy packing wrap, because It's easy to over tighten clamps and end up cracking your flute and it puts even pressure all around the flute so you get a nice clean glue line.

Didn't get a shot of the wrapped flute yet cause I went to bed right after I got to this point.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:45:24 pm by Michael C. »

Cicero

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:29 pm »
Hi Michael,

You are doing a great job with your pictures and explanations.  I found my kevlar gloves on amazon for about 7 or 8 bucks and my tuner as well (Korg CA cromatic tuner about 14 bucks).  Since I sell my flutes to my flute circle members here in the Carolinas I do tune my flutes with a tuner at 72 degrees so that they can be played with other flutes.

For anyone who finds that they are really getting interested in flute making there are two Yahoo groups on flute making...free to join.  BTW...guys who are into trading you will find a well tuned flute is a great item for trade for bows, knives, staves and on and on.

If anyone reading this is from SC/NC/GA and wants a free lesson let me know...also...most states have several flute circles and most flute circles have flute makers who will be glad to give you a free lesson.  The Carolinas Flute Circle has an annual Makers Meeting and all the guys are happy to answer questions and teach a newby.

I am not in anyway trying to steal Michael's thunder by waxing on about stuff...He is doing a great job explaining all and it sure is fun to read this and see his excellent pictures! 

Rand in SC
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »
Not at all I'm glad you brought up flute circles, I had forgotten to mention those. Can you look those up on the INAFA site Rand, I used to go to one in Norman OK back in 2000. They are a great place to meet people and take his advice if you have one in your area they will be able to help you progress a lot faster just like hanging out with other bow makers.

Cicero