Author Topic: Tiller check please NOW FINISHED  (Read 9879 times)

Offline dwardo

Tiller check please NOW FINISHED
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:15:52 am »
Hi All,

Its been a long time since i had chance to play with any bows due to the arrival of my baby boy :)

Ok, its a scrap bit of yew that i de-crowned for various reasons one being some pretty healthy chainsaw scars down the back of the bow :(
I intend to back the bow with silk and if any wood will hold up to a de-crowning i am told its yew.

I think its about 65 inch long and i steamed in some re-curves and evened up a deflexed limb. Pulled out here to about 16 inch where its 48lbs. To be honest i dont want it anywhere past 50lbs and a bit if i can help it. Is it just a case of getting the outer limbs beinding more or?

All comments welcome, except about the state of my garage ;)

Resting, doesnt seem to be taking too much set at the min but i guess time will tell

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:06:30 am by dwardo »

Offline Matt S.

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:45 am »
I am definitely no expert, especially when it comes to recurves, but I think the tiller looks pretty darn good. I wouldn't touch the inner limbs any since it seems they are bending enough right out of the fades, so I would focus more on mid to outer limb.

I'm sure someone much more experienced than I will chime in and give you some better advice though.

Anyway, looking good and congratulations on the baby boy!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:33 am »
All I can see is big red x's.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:50:14 am »
I am seeing the limb in the left side of the photo working more than the right.Seems to be bending more in there towards the handle than the other limb. I don't know enough to tell whether thats good or bad.I really like the design and look of this bow. Good luck !   More guys will chime in today I am sure.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:27 pm »
All I can see is big red x's.
   Pappy
strange, its hosted on photo bucket..

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
Looks pretty good to me,maybe get the outer1/3 working a little more as you move closer to your draw length. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:30 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys, will have a scrape later and re-post.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:07:12 am »
This is out to 21 and is 50lbs still. I seem to be taking off loads of wood but the weight stays the same!
Can anyone point out any flabby bits i can loose some weght on? Sorry about this step by step tiller but the bow i made just before my lad was born blew up and its knocked my confidence a little.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:55 am »
That is looking pretty good to me,just keep doing what you are doing,slow and don't take to much at a time,sometimes it will loose a bunch all at once. :) I like it when they work out like that,just have to keep things even and reduce some weight. :) :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:00:44 pm »
The bend between the limbs is dead on, each limb mirrors the other perfectly. I'd say at this point just slowly remove wood to get to your draw weight @ length.

Sorry about this step by step tiller but the bow i made just before my lad was born blew up and its knocked my confidence a little.

I know what you mean, after destroying a couple of bows the last few get my heart pumping when on the tillering tree!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »
The right limb looks a bit stiffer, but I'm guessing that's by design, and will be the lower limb, judging by how you have the handle off-center on the tree.  If you're happy with the tiller (looks good to me), then don't target "flabby bits", just keep slowly scraping the entire length of the limbs.  As Pappy said, keep it even :)

Nice bow by the way!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 03:49:02 pm »
Out to 22 at the minute, 10 scrapes each side and it laughs at my attempts to reduce weight.
I will keep going steady as suggested thanks again all.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:53:42 am »
53@28 ! :) Thanks to you lot!

Just got to crack out the facemask and sand her up, add some overlays and a black silk backing, varnish matt back gloss front, handlewrap... Didnt sound like much left to do until listing them all :)
It took about an inch and a half/2 inch of set in the end. I suppose i could heat treat in a little reflex but i dont want to put any more load on this bow as i dont want to risk blowing it up or ill be heart broken.

Will post some better pictures when she is dressed.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
Looks good!  There's nothing wrong with an inch and a half of set, makes for a nicer shooting bow I  think.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »
Very good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!