Author Topic: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!  (Read 70586 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »
 Got my name and am giving some thought to it. I have 4 bows that need to be made in the next couple of months. This one included. I love having multiple projects going at once though. That way if I run into a snag or get frustrated with a piece of wood I can lay it aside and work on something else.
 I am going to reach into the private reserve stave stash and pick out a beauty for this one ( these are locked in a vault and gauarded like the gold they are, lol ).  Fortunatley for me the guy I drew likes draw length and weight right where I do so I should be able to execute a respectable meat maker.
  I am determined to make this one as perfect as I can. I think its a matter of pride when you make something for someone else that knows what they are looking at. I want him to be verrrrry happy with it and I look forward to making some new friends because of this trade.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2011, 03:21:02 pm »
In regards to my busted vine maple.

I'm not sure if i was using the tension side or not.
It was given to me and wasn't properly marked, I just used the more reflexed side.

I think the bark cracked an took some the the back of the bow with it.
The bark on Vine maple is very tight on the wood and a major SOB to remove when very dry.

Thus the want to leave it on.
Last time I'll do that.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 12:08:03 am »
So I have been asked if I would be interested in writing an article on the Primitive Archer Bow Trade. At first I was a little intimidated because I'm obviously not a writer as some of you may well know by reading my posts ;D but I agreed to do it for a very large sum of money ;) ;) and the hopes that the article may make it into dec. "passing it on" issue. So what I will need from you all is your best high quality pictures, the better the pitures and the work the more chance your bow may make it in the issue, if the article does. I will also probably submit more than one persons pictures or bows so it takes up more room on the page and I dont have to write as much  ;D For those of you who dont want to have pictures of you or your work in the article dont worry I wont submit any photos without asking that person first. So post up those pictures I will need allot to choose from and we all just like pictures.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 12:10:54 am »
So I have been asked if I would be interested in writing an article on the Primitive Archer Bow Trade.

Best news I heard today! ;D
Looking foreward to this!!! ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:58 am »
Super Cool Josh!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline NTD

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:44 am »
That's great news. 
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2011, 02:07:52 am »
Josh, very good for you.after organizing this you deserve that honor.

although i wont be posting any pics.
i may p.m. a pic to certain people if i need help tillering.
i want to keep this bow a total surprise untill it hits the hands of it rightfull owner  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:24 am »
I was hoping this would make it to the magazine.  Thanks again to everyone that put this together.

The weather was so nice today, I rolled my saw and work bench out of the shop and out into the garage.  It was nice to get some fresh air while working.  I started over on a new stave.  I just wasn't happy with my first one.  I actually started on 2 new  ones.  I got them both roughed out and chased a ring.  This  weekend I hope to get the kinks out of them.  I got a nice piece of fiberglass angle iron to use for straightening.  It should work much better than how I was doing it before.  I am really having fun with this.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2011, 02:26:05 am »
Josh, this is great news. I was thinking about asking someone if they would ber interested in writing an article so I'm glad you are doing this. I bet Marie talked you into it!  ;D
  The pics everyone posts here on PA can not be high resolution. They have to be the on the low end of that scale. The pics for the magazine have to be the highest resolution you can produce so folks need to consider this and set high res pics aside for the magazine but down size them for PA.   Photobucket will down size pics automatically and for free.  
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:05 pm »
Josh, this is great news. I was thinking about asking someone if they would ber interested in writing an article so I'm glad you are doing this. I bet Marie talked you into it!  ;D
  The pics everyone posts here on PA can not be high resolution. They have to be the on the low end of that scale. The pics for the magazine have to be the highest resolution you can produce so folks need to consider this and set high res pics aside for the magazine but down size them for PA.   Photobucket will down size pics automatically and for free.  

Bevan thought of a good idea if you want to take some high res pics you can just send those to my e mail and I will put them all in a folder until i'm ready to pic some. And ya pat you are right Marie talked me into it ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:56:51 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
I put another hundred shots through my trade bow today. Sure enough  I had to touch up a few spots, so back on the bench it went. After a few more scrapes I'm happy with it. I'm still up in the air about a finish. I'm going to keep shooting for a bit longer. I really like this one. I still want to dress it up some too. Any suggestions for a finish?
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »
I'm still trying to decide what wood I want to use, tempted to make one from locust, Maybe some elm, maybe osage hmmmm maybe persimmon, some red oak, hickory...
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 07:54:05 pm »
Well this Rookie got started today...this one is Osage, we'll see if I can pull it off as this stave has some serious prop twist to it.

Having fun now!  Nothing like yellow boogers and bloody hands  >:D

(note to self...make sure you look at which side to grab the drawknife on  :o)

Having fun no

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 09:48:53 pm »
picked out a nice osage stave today. perty thick rings. and plenty long to work with.
beings this will be my 5th, yes 5th, selfbow. it's a wee bit intimidating. ya'll wish me well. and i will put my very best into it...
thanks for this chance. its gonna be fun. just hope the fella who gets the bow likes er...
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »
Weren't you poking fun at me for stabbing myself Lee :P
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero