Author Topic: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!  (Read 70592 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:46 pm »
Went out to pick out my bow wood today.....ran across a nice Ironwood stave. I dont use staves but thought if anybody in the trade could use this they'd be welcome to it....free

It's allready dried and cured, bark and cambium are gone....it's sawed flat on both sides and what would be the belly. It's 79" long right now about 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 wide across the back and probably 2" thick back to belly. Been air dried 3 years in a closed wood shed no checks or cracks....hard enough it rings when ya whack it.

anyways, let me know if ya can use it, eh?
rich

I could Rich!

Let me know if it's still available...thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »
Got my name.  Looking forward to this!  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:34 pm »
Got my name yesterday and went to work like mad. I found a nice blank that I had been saving for myself. It was a sister stave of the one I made for turkey season,canebreak osage. I decided to use it for the trade because my recipent has the same draw as me. The blank was heated on my d/r caul, straightened and floor tillered when I picked it up yesterday at 10:00 am. I worked all night until 2am this morning. I had it drawn to 55@20 and bending well. I woke up early this morning and went right back at it. I had it drawing to full draw by noon today. Took a little break to go be at the hospital for the birth of my little brothers first child. My new neice arrived at 1 safe and health at 7lbs 812oz. Mele I got home and added tip overlays, sanded it down some to smooth the edges a bit and started shooting it tonight. I'm going to shoot it for a bit before I finish it and put on the grip leather.I'm thinking about going with the shellac finish thanks to the article in the newest mag. That or a simple oil/wax finish. There is no way this one is leaving anytime soon. I'll probably keep it until after OJAM in a couple of weeks. I might even save it until after the classic. ;D I'll get some pics up soon.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:29 pm »
So I went back and read over every name on the list.  Wow.  What a list of Who's Who!  I feel like I hit the lottery and I haven't a clue who is sending me a bow.  I'm already honored and in deep obligation to whoever has drawn my name.  Thanks, I promise to treat that bow right and give it the respect it deserves. 

Thanks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »
So I went back and read over every name on the list.  Wow.  What a list of Who's Who!  I feel like I hit the lottery and I haven't a clue who is sending me a bow.  I'm already honored and in deep obligation to whoever has drawn my name.  Thanks, I promise to treat that bow right and give it the respect it deserves. 

Thanks.

That's for sure.  We should see some sweet bows come out of this trade.
Nate Danforth

JustinNC

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2011, 11:50:19 pm »
To whomever I have draw...I am a novice, but I promise to do my best and take my time. Please understand that it may not be perfect but that I will do what I can within my abilities, which I hope to improve through this.

I also say thank you to the person that drew me as well!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2011, 11:52:06 pm »
Well, I didn't like my stave I had roughed out.  I threw it in the corner and started again.  Removed the bark and sapwood and layed out the bow.  Tomorrow it will be cut out and a ring chased.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 12:38:26 am »
Here are a few pics of my trade bow and one of my new neice Melanie with her dad who at the time was about 10 minutes into the rest of his life.

And this is about where it is for now. I'll shoot another 100 shots through before I finish sanding and finishing it in case anything needs adjustment.

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:08 am »
Osage outlaw thats funny I keep looking at my stave scratching my head ??? did I make the right choice lol I figure there is enough time ill make it a bow and if I dont like it ill make another one, but im going to work on two and pick the best one ;D

DVShunter congrats to you on your new niece :D now you will have another kid that will look up to you and you can make bows for. That bow you got there is really looking nice! Im sure whoever you are building for will really love it. I had another question for you I sent you a pm but havent got a response back yet. I notices on the list I have I gave to calendergirl you didnt have a draw length, unless she pm you and got it, the person building for you may not know it? Just checking want to make sure you get the right draw length. This is what you gave me to put on the list "Right handed, shelf or no shelf, I'll shoot anything but 40-80 is best" thanks and again that bow is nice!

Josh 
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2011, 03:21:06 am »
Broke 2 bows today!

One was a vine maple with static tips. It just blew, no warning! It still had most of the bark on.
Something nasty musta been hidding under there.

And the other was a cascarra that had sudden break while floor tillering. I not sure how that one happened. It was even the upper limb, in my hand...
Wasnt destined to be a bow I suppose. Sure was pretty though.

It was a rough day

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 04:39:39 am »
Broke 2 bows today!

One was a vine maple with static tips. It just blew, no warning! It still had most of the bark on.
Something nasty musta been hidding under there.

And the other was a cascarra that had sudden break while floor tillering. I not sure how that one happened. It was even the upper limb, in my hand...
Wasnt destined to be a bow I suppose. Sure was pretty though.

It was a rough day

Wow sorry to hear that ??? Im suprised the vine maple blew? Where you useing the tension side of the tree or limb? Vine Maple is what I have used most and I have put it to the test! I have helped friends build three in the last month and one was 48" very narrow, we heat treated it because it took excessive set(my fault didnt have my scale and we over stressed it while tillering) Then my friend was working on it while I wasnt there and tried to straighten it in the handle and cracked it through the belly and into the back. I will be doing a Bow break allong on that one, we pulled it to 60# to see if it would break and it didnt but the string was about to come off lol and it really didnt take that much set after being pulled to 60#. luckily you have allot of time to try try try again ;D good luck on the next one
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 09:29:07 am »
Working on mine. Actually it's the one I'm doing in the build-a-longs. Hope my recipient likes it.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:54 am »
Josh, the bark could have cracked under the tension and broke into the bow wood. It is a good idea to remove bark before you start tillering.
  Some barks are appropriate for backing like choke cherry and birch bark but they are glued to the back of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2011, 01:19:28 pm »
OK, Got my name and as a very new bow-yer im hoping that i can make a bow of the quality that he is used to. I want to thank everyone that got this started. This is going to be fun. have started 3 bows already, 2 Osage, 1 Vine Maple and i dont think any of them will be the one for him. So i talked Friend in Oak. into sending me a couple more Osage staves. But i do have if anyone interested a 67'' Quarter sawn White Oak Billet its 2 1/2'' x 1 1/4'' and several Black Walnut billets over 72'' also qtr sawn. All cured and stored dry for lots of years. Will trade for Osage LOL or whatever.                               
To whomever I have draw...I am a novice, but I promise to do my best and take my time. Please understand that it may not be perfect but that I will do what I can within my abilities, which I hope to improve through this.

I also say thank you to the person that drew me as well!

Like he said...

Will post some pics of the ones i have started

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Keenan

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »
Wow fantastic start to this great adventure! I'm very impressed with the thought and efforts I already see going into this community event. I am excited to see the results of so much care being poured into these bows.

DVhunter; that is looking awesome. You and a few others have made a very great "Kickoff" for this, and I admire that.

I am also glad to see the generous offer by Rich to help with a stave if needed.  I already have a stave being gifted as well but want everyone to know that if you need help in that area I could and I know a few others that could possibly help.  With building wood bows occasionally a stave will blow. We would rather make sure everyone gets a bow the have anyone come up empty handed. Please don't take advantage of that but if the need is real don't hesitate to ask.

I think I have a stave picked out and will hone in on the target today. I had a wheel on my bandsaw that was bad and developed a crack so I'm waiting on the replacement that I hope gets hear today.